1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Established Classics vs Modern Bestsellers

Discussion in 'Board Games' started by alistaly, May 16, 2014.

Which do you prefer, Classic or Modern boardgames?

1. Classic (Chess, Draughts, Backgammon, Go, Mancala, Snakes and Ladders etc.)

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Modern (Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Battleship, Connect Four, Pictionary etc.)

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    [​IMG]
    Which do you enjoy more, the established classics like Chess more or the modern bestsellers like Monopoly?

2. xxperasrelexx

xxperasrelexx Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
  3. Velja99

Velja99 Elite Ogre New Ogre

Credit:
    I like more Classic but i like Monopoly too :D

4. Aki013

Aki013 League of Legends Player Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Classic is better :).

5. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Modern, simply because there's more variety in terms of easier, or so it seems. But come on, snakes and ladders is the board game equivalent of pac man when it comes to crossing cultural barriers in games.

6. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Feel like you can have three possible categories, because board games like Life, Monopoly, Clue, etc. are kind of old enough now, and there are definitely some newer board games out there. Maybe they could be categorized as: classics, modern staples, and new.

But generally, I'll play games that are new, just because there's more to explore. I already know checkers and chess, and Monopoly and Life, and would prefer to check out a board game I haven't played. The thing is, I prefer tabletop games and card games more, rather than strictly board games, just because it's hard to find new board games. Sometimes they're just a rehash on an existing board game, or they take forever to complete. I think the last board game that I enjoyed was "Small World".

And while I don't play chess, I think it's fun watching chess tournaments, such as watching Magnus Carlsen play against other chess players.