1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How much time would you say you've wasted?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Snowy, May 10, 2018.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    What I meant to say that AE hasn't made something this big on mobile before and that did bring in new challenges. They have laid ground work for people who play mobile games and thus created potentially new players for AQ3D.

Making a game cross-platform can lead to the pruning of controls to make the game for all of its platforms. AE does make games with pretty simple controls which aren't too difficult to understand.

AQ3D doesn't really fall under the category of a time waster and it really shouldn't go towards that direction even though there are things that feel like it.

2. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think it's obvious that its main category is an MMORPG. But I think there needs to be more done to create that immersion of an MMORPG, especially a more modern one. The game has too many weak points with many conflicted ideas, especially bad ones, and it just needs to relent some things for the better.

3. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    AE is clearly trying even though they have are hindering themselves at the same time. There are many things that need improvement and getting all areas to the highest level of quality they are able to make within the limits they have set themselves (AQ3D being a cross-platform) would be one of those.

4. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think the main focus should be fixing the areas that slow down progression, not revamping areas that were already fine to begin with. Places with sluggish boss spawns like Pointe Less Isle, some of the Daily Boss Maps, World Tree, or areas with repetitive quest chains like Bone Cliffs (which would be better off having more variety of enemies) and Isle of the Dead (Necrostaff needs more diversity in its quest chain).

Like when I look at the new Heartwood and the old Heartwood, I had no issue with the old one. The pacing was fine already and it didn't seem like much else was needed for such an intermediate area. What AE did by revamping the area was a hindrance, and I didn't think the map met the expectations of Ashfall. I felt like they could have reintroduced Malek and explain more about the Shadow Realm since new players just got out of Greenguard and would be mainly intrigued by that, or they could have added sub-areas with new plot to the already-existing Heartwood without changing the everything else about Heartwood.

When I look back at new Heartwood, I see more of a parallel in theme rather than a theme advancing the plot like Ashfall. Like for instance, there wasn't really an archetype that made the plot stand out; it felt like Reed being in a distressed situation was parallel to Wes, from Darkovia, being in a distressed situation. I think Heartwood would have been better as an exploration area, but it didn't feel like it encouraged enough exploration. And I think introducing new characters, like maybe a wise sage, a prophet, or some wise traveler would have been more interesting for that sort of idea, just to give new light to the plot.

5. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    There indeed are areas where you feel like a snail when it comes to getting through it. All Daily Boss Maps could have faster boss respawn times because they are the most reliable source of crafting materials for those areas. Killer Clawg's respawn timer is way too long and should be reduced as well. When it comes to changing whole areas, AE will resort to revamping areas instead of just simply making things go faster. More is better when the content isn't too sluggish to go through and revamped Heartwood wasn't really phased in a way that lead it to be way too slow to go through.

AE did have an opportunity to continue story with Malek and Shadow Realm, at least have a small part in the middle or the end but that didn't unfortunately happen. It also raises a question if beings coming from Shadow Realm are hostile towards Vane and his army and AE could have had a small scenario in Heartwood storyline where a portal appears that opens up and monsters from Shadow Realm version of Heartwood attack and Malek also shows up. We didn't get anything new related to Crimson Circle either which was disappointing.

When it comes to the lore of Lore in AQ3D, we don't really have any Loremasters and maybe a character like that could be used to give more insight to the lore. Perhaps a traveling type that you come across time to time exploring areas and making discoveries.

6. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think revamping instead of simply expediting the pacing of a particular area's a bad idea. It makes it seem like every area is meant to be equally important, which drastically de-emphasizes major plots. Like I've never seen Heartwood as an important area, and the revamp didn't make much sense for it. It would make more sense to have a revamp on a major saga with reasonable transition points than a revamp on an area that's supposed to act as a bridge or a transition. Something that would wow a player, when they do expect something to be big. For instance, we've already seen plenty of action from Greenguard, and it would make more sense to just fall back in the next area to build up momentum later in the story, maybe build Doomwood further with a richer story.

I think what Heartwood could have done better, aside from explaining the Crimson Circle, the Shadow Realm, and Malek, was bridge the transition into Livingstone Caverns and maybe foreshadow Doomwood since that's an area that new players will visit along the way.

When it comes to story, it feels like everything's jumbled up with no proper planning. Some bits are forgotten, and other bits are just thrown into the game with no further details.

7. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Heartwood Forest never was an important area and even with the revamp it still isn't that important.

More foreshadowing wouldn't hurt if they actually had direct connections between areas storywise, but that's something we don't have much of.

AQ3D's story just feels like an afterthought when you look at how the story is being woven and it's sad to watch. I see that the intent is there, but the implementation is lacking.

8. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    For filler releases, having a small story is fine, but when there's a major release, the expectations should be high. I feel like the big issue is that there's a lack of purpose in the plot. Like ultimately, your goal is to defeat Vane, but you don't really have much backstory of your opponent, or any idea of how and why your goal is to defeat Vane. Like the plot just tells you that you need to collect legendary weapons or something, but it lacks intricate details behind the reasoning. I think the story could use better transitioning, and that's something that Heartwood failed to do.

9. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    The plot is just that we collect sources of power and allies to defeat Vane and that's it. We really don't know how powerful Vane (besides the fact that he yeeted us from the intro area and unmade Melodia) and how are our current efforts going to help us defeat him exactly? The story just feels disconnected right now and it's probably going to stay like that for a long time.

10. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    But even then, that's just uninteresting for a plot. The character is already invincible, and somehow the character's goal is to meet up with people in search for power to defeat a villain that you barely know anything about? And really, I'd consider Death the real enemy instead of Vane. If Death has the ability to make you immune to Vane, then Vane wouldn't even have a proper goal in the first place. There are a lot of plot holes that anyone can think of.

11. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    The fact that our character has plot armor makes the plot pretty redundant when you think about. All we need to is find him and just fight him until he goes down because we can't die.