1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite text font?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Heromanguy12, May 19, 2020.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    We all got our favorite text fonts and there are many to choose from! What would be your favorite text font?

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I've grown partial to Computer Modern (or rather the Computer Modern Unicode variant that was traced from the old Metafont glyphs). I use it in Moon+ Reader on my phone and most of my documents.

[​IMG]

3. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    It really depends on the context, such as what medium and purpose.

If for everyday reading, either a serif font (like Times New Roman) or a sans-serif font (like Avenir). If for comic books or a graphic novel, probably a font like Back Issues BB. If for a computer terminal or a snippet of raw code, probably Courier. If for mathematical expressions, any LaTeX font. If for a website that emphasizes expression or other mediums of expression, probably any font from an API such as Google Fonts or Adobe Fonts. The list just goes on.

The main point is that fonts aren't really favored. Their purpose are shaped by the medium they're used in. It wouldn't make much sense to use a cursive font for an essay (because that would be hard for other people to read), just as it wouldn't make sense to use a serif font for a tagline on a creative brochure (because that would just look bland). If there really was a "favorite font", people would be using it all over the place, and I think some people are already doing that to an extent with Comic Sans, but I think that's just Internet meme culture.

4. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    My intent was to ask for people's favorite fonts that they use personally use in a medium that they have such control over, but I suppose I wasn't specific enough. "There is no such a thing as a favorite" is a phrase that can be literally applied to anything if you think about it that deeply and pick a context that fits it. New Times Roman is a good font and it's not that surprising to see it pop up a lot. Comic Sans as a font become to be what is due to "such misuse" and became probably the most hated font out there which eventually lead to its meme status and a certain piece of media really did give us a reminder of that.

5. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    On the contrary, I could definitely say my least favorite are the dingbat fonts (Wingdings / Webdings). You can't read them if you're trying to create a sentence. And the other point is that glyphicons pretty much replace these dingbat fonts.

At least with Comic Sans, you can read words, even if it's not the best font.

6. Nihilist

Nihilist Elite Ogre Royal Ogre

Credit:
    My flavor of month is ꪖꪀᦔꪖꪶꪊᥴꪖ(Andalucia)
    I try to spice things up with different fonts for certain occasions !