1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think battle royale games already lost their popularity?

Discussion in 'Battle Royales' started by Metaqrion, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Well, in my opinion; the gamer community focused on MOBA games today so battle royale games are not as popular as their first days. What do you think about it?

2. Metaqrion

Credit:
    I think they still did not but variety of the battle royal games split up players.

3. Not really. There are many game publishers adding their own spin to battle royale, and they're different than your typical "Fortnite" game. Personally, I think it's interesting to see more games of the platformer genre adapting to the battle royale genre. Earlier in September, Fall Guys was popular, and all that the game really is is racing and jumping to places. And now in October, the Switch console has made Nintendo Switch Online worth while with Super Mario Bros. 35. I think there's a lot that can be explored with the genre.

4. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Even some mmorpg nowaday put last man standing aka battle royale vibe game into the game such as Dragon Raja newest server match that has same rule like most battle royale game

5. Personally I don't think battle royale is necessarily a new genre; the genre's rise in popularity came from the popularity of a few games, but the concept has existed for several years, even in MMORPGs and especially in sandbox games like Minecraft. I think with its explosion, more developers see how mainstream the genre is and want to follow that path. There's always the saying, "follow the money", and developers tend to build successful games by looking at trends. It wouldn't be much of a surprise to see more upcoming games follow this path, but what genre will succeed in the future is unknown.

6. Metaqrion

Credit:
    Yes, category name can be changed but base of gameplay mechanics always remain the same.

7. Well if we're talking about just the gameplay mechanics, that'll definitely remain in popularity for a long time. But if you adapted the gameplay mechanics to create something new, would that create a new game with an entirely new genre, a new subgenre, or what? I feel like categorizations will always be messy. Like I can find games and they'll be tagged with things like Survival, FPS, etc. and they might act similar to a Battle Royale game, but might not even be tagged as Battle Royale, so I think categorization is just one confusing aspect of any game.

8. gabrielaqw

gabrielaqw Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I haven't played many battle royales besides fortnite, I know this is an old thread and although its died down since I don't think it's lost popularity completely yet.