1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

When would you be ready to enter the Nether?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Heromanguy12, May 20, 2020.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    The Nether is one of Minecraft's dimensions that you can enter. There are many hostile monsters, a lot of lava and high drops to come across. When would be the time when it comes to being prepared to enter the Nether? Sure, you need to make a portal so what else would you do?

2. Probably when I have full iron armor (which is pretty easy to craft when I'm hunting for diamonds), a diamond pickaxe (to mine obsidian), and a bow and some arrows (to shoot Ghasts and Blazes if needed), that's when I typically would be prepared to enter the Nether. I think readiness depends more on the objective; if you're just there to farm Glowstone dust or Netherracks, you really don't need much gear, but if you're trying to visit a fortress, then full gear is suggested.

3. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    The full iron set is not really enough for me. Because of Ghasts, I keep getting massive hits and iron doesn't work effectively for it. At least I need a good enchanted bow if I am going there with an iron set.

4. I think it depends on the Nether world generation. Sometimes I spawn inside of a cave, so I usually just stay close to tunnels that I mine out when I travel which means I generally don't have to deal with Ghasts. But even then, it just takes two arrow shots most of the time to take down a Ghast or you could always deflect the Ghast's shot; I think Blazes are the bigger issue just because of the fire damage and a bucket of water is useless.

5. Metaqrion

Credit:
    Yes, sometimes you are not really lucky with Nether world generation. Also rebuilding the portal to another place is very tiring.

6. Rebuilding the portal is actually a smart idea, because it can take you to a better location. If you're not playing on hardcore mode, my advice would be to enter the Nether with just a stone pickaxe, and then break the obsidian (takes about a minute with stone pickaxe) to deactivate the portal. Then take damage until you die, respawn in the overworld, and try to build a portal in a new spot.

But I usually never do that. Whenever I spawn in the middle of nowhere, especially in an open area, the first thing I do is write down my coordinates. The second thing I do is explore, and place down cobblestones to mark my path. If that path leads to nowhere, I go back to my original spot, and choose a new path and use another block (like dirt) to mark my path.

7. Metaqrion

Credit:
    Taking note of the coordinates is a good idea. Next time I play Minecraft, I will try that!

8. It's common to take notes of coordinates in a lot of places, especially structures that you want to revisit. I apply the same technique, when I visit temples, farms, my own base, a second base, an underground location, or just about anywhere that holds importance. It saves time, so then instead of having to memorize directions from terrain, I could just follow the X, Y, Z coordinates.

9. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    when youre loaded with equipment and have a bow

10. I've seen some speedruns of Minecraft where people would just enter the Nether as fast as possible to gather blaze rods to make blaze powder for ender pearls, and with barely any equipment, and even enter the End with barely any equipment just to beat the game. I wouldn't recommend it for normal gameplay, but I think it's a worthy challenge; any minimalist challenge where you challenge yourself by limiting things actually turns out to be fun, and it might be good to try out something like that on Easy mode.

Even in certain mini-games within Minecraft, there's a strategy to entering the Nether as soon as possible. Like in ultra hardcore when you play with other players, you generally want to arrive to the Nether as early as possible, so you can collect blaze rods and Nether warts (so other players don't), and arriving early is usually rewarding, because then you can craft health potions (if the rules of the mini-game allows it).

11. Mseehr

Mseehr Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    iron set, food, and need lots of luck.(simple gained blocks can always be needed to escape)

12. I feel like luck plays a less important role in preparing for the Nether. Sure, you could stumble across a temple that has all of the iron ingots you need as soon as you start your Minecraft seed, but iron ore is pretty common and food is easy to find (especially in certain biomes). I think it's more about having the right intuition, like knowing that you need to leave the taiga biome to another biome to find food, or exploring around to check if you can find villages and temples, because usually staying around in the same place gets you nowhere.

13. Mseehr

Mseehr Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    You said on a different subject that your belongings are fragile and there is lava everywhere, now you say there is no need for luck. interesting point of view. No need to prepare for the end of the game to collect potions and some materials from Nether, a little adventure is enough.

14. That's not luck though. It's just being cautious, when you're in the Nether, and being aware of the surroundings; in other words, preparation is about reassessing risks when you decide what gear you want to bring with you and what strategies you plan on using.

Luck would be like spawning in a Nether Fortress the moment your enter the Nether, but we're just talking about preparing for the Nether, not so much about stumbling across crazy loot and other good things.