1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing in-game items

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by iBRN, Jan 30, 2018.

1. iBRN

iBRN Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Is it worth it purchasing in-game items using real money

2. Naotsku Kirigaya

Naotsku Kirigaya Big Brute New Ogre
    1. Dricken Society

Credit:
    Yes, but it depends on what game you're going to use your money.

3. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It depends if you have extra money. If you're like a millionaire then no problem buying anythint but if you sacrifice food for game items, thats not a nice trade.

4. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    if u have lots of money then no problem

5. Rueness

Rueness Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Id say it is. If you are thinking of purchasing an item for a game it means you are enjoying it, paying for them using real money is a way to repay the developers and help them make more stuff for future enjoyment. Anyway you get your "perk" of having to showcase your purchased item anyway.

6. Xenokult

Xenokult Big Brute New Ogre
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    If you have a job yes, if you use your father/mother money you're bad.

7. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Only if there's a real benefit to it, if you're paying to just look 'cool' or different from the norm then no it's not worth it at least not for me.

Also it depends on the game too, for example FIFA and NHL have a ultimate team mode where you buy virtual card picks and open them and you can build your squad/team that way. Personally I don't think it's worth it because a new title comes out every year but I understand why people spend a lot of money on it, because it's addicting fun and it gives you something to be proud about

8. codelance

codelance Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I only buy if its worth it

9. enochi

enochi MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    If it’s pay2win then hell yeah xD
    Otherwise, for cosmetics only like fortnite is not worth it

10. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Fortnite battlepass is actually the best one out there to purchase. It will cost you 950 v bucks but if you play through the battlepass, you'll earn 1300 v bucks back and a whole lot more items and emotes. Plus, the challenges are easy to complete.

11. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ingame items bought with money looks better than the other items, so why not ?
    i think its better to buy it, then to miss it and regret it later

12. Rueness

Rueness Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    It kinda has to look better than the free on cause it would beat the purpose if its not, right? Vendors gotta sell, make money to pay the bills and keep the game afloat so you have something to play,yeah?

13. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Depends heavily on preference. If you really care about an in-game item that costs real money, then it's your choice whether you want to buy it or not.

But for me, I look at all of the possible caveats and evaluate them for myself:
    1) How much is it? For instance, I'm very unlikely to spend $20 for just one in-game item, because you could use $20 for better things than a single virtual in-game item. At max, I think an in-game item should be $5 (particularly an item that stands out like an armor).
    2) How does it function? Sometimes an item's functionality makes the difference for what it's worth. For instance, maybe a mount that makes traveling smoother is good than having to walk a long distance; and if that mount has the ability to fly, it changes the game experience.
    3) Are there other alternatives to that in-game item? You might see one item that you'd pay $5 for, while there's a similar item that doesn't require money at all or costs less than $5. And sometimes the main difference between two or more items is just the color, so if you're indifferent about the color, then getting the item that doesn't require real money (or costs less) is the best choice.
    4) How does it look? Sometimes you buy an item just to customize your character. In most MMORPGs, the player character is what shapes how you play an MMORPG. Why buy an item, if it doesn't appeal to you?

14. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Think game as a hobby and it's a normal thing to spend for your hobby, right?
    You love hiking and you buy hiking gear.
    You love fishing and you buy fishing gear.
    Depending your financial capability you may spend penny dollar worth of hobby equipment or thousand dollar for better quality one. Dont spend if you cant.
    Hobby can be used for income, yes we have Youtube, Twitch, etc to stream or record your hobby.

15. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Hobbies don't necessarily require money, and in some cases they teach you skills. There are hobbies you could enjoy without spending a dime, even hobbies like fishing. You might be tempted to buy an expensive fishing rod, but you don't necessarily need one, if you could learn other techniques such as noodling. Limitation allows people to be creative in many ways.

Likewise, many games are similar. You could spend money to gain advantages, but you don't need those advantages, and sometimes you miss out on things when you rely on advantages. For instance, if you spend real money to boost XP so you don't have to go through an entire quest chain, you might end up skipping a bunch of interesting story, or some other things. But when you don't want to spend money and you need to farm for XP, you start thinking about different ways you could farm XP, maybe by researching different locations and looking for the best spot, or play more creatively or in ways you never would have thought of.

16. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Depends on the game I usually pay money for aq3d collections