1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What video game SDKs have you used?

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Heromanguy12, May 13, 2020.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    A SDK (Software Development Kit) is a set of tools which enable development for applications and in this case, video games. Have you ever used any video game SDKs before? Share them in this thread.

2. I think the most popular SDK for game development so far is Unity3d. Personally, I've never used any video game SDK since I never had intent to build large-scale games. I think it's more fun to build games by importing libraries, and you can find a ton of libraries for JavaScript and Python.

3. videovillain

videovillain Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I've used Android Studio, but also just plain ol' C++ with a media library like SFML.

Currently I am trying something in Unity (2D) in collaboration with Android Studio.

I also used Action Script back when Flash was a thing still, haha.

4. I still have Adobe Flash as part of the Adobe Creative Suite (not really a fan of Adobe's direction with Creative Cloud since Creative Cloud is subscription-based), but I don't really use Flash anymore since there's not really much purpose for it when Flash is ending soon anyway. Flash used to be great for both creating websites and making games, but so much has transformed in 10 years. There really hasn't been much revival to browser gaming; Unity with its Unity Web Player was pretty close to reviving the age of browser games, but browsers like Chrome blocked those plugins. I haven't seen many mainstream SDKs for browser games lately.