1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do People Watch Anime?

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Forum' started by Gamma001, May 8, 2018.

1. Gamma001

Gamma001 Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I've always wondered this. I tried getting into anime and mangas and they just weren't fun to me. Note that this isn't an attack on people who like anime and/or manga but just a question. You can also add what animes/mangas you like and why people like me should give them a chance.

Just as a note, I have watched Pokémon, a few episodes of Yu-gi-yo and I think Beyblade.

2. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I'll try to give my own explanation as someone who isn't a diehard anime fan, but I also started out as wondering why people watch it. I'll start off by saying, I've never read a manga in my life. I prefer watching stories. So okay, anime. With anime, there's so many different types of stories that there's bound to be something you like, but just haven't found yet. Or maybe not :D I'm just guessing.

For me, the only anime I ever watched was pokemon, dragonball z and a few others that I grew up watching on tv as a kid. I didn't even know what anime was at one point, so I didn't bother looking up new ones. The one day someone I knew told me to watch some anime with them while I visited. And at first I didn't like it much, but then the more I started watching, I got hooked on stuff like hunter x hunter. Or 1 punch man. I found them fun, not overly complicated and they had fighting scenes which I love. Hunter x hunter especially, if martial arts and special powers are your thing, hunter x hunter will blow your mind, well it did mine :D

And then there's anime's that are just plain weird and well, not so kid friendly let's just say haha. So just beware of those ones, but I'm assuming you're not a kid. Maybe anime just isn't your thing, but you might find something you like eventually, there's so many I'm almost sure. And don't let ' anime purists ' put you off. The types of people that laugh at you when you call pokemon an anime. As if anime is some elite club in which only the best anime's count as anime. Ignore those fools and you'll maybe find something cool, hope I could help with this essay of mine XD

Gamma001 likes this.
  3. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Im not into anime as well tho I know a lot of people who love watching anime. They say the story is good, characters are great and in some cases they even have crushes on them.

4. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i think its coz they are cute :p

5. Asking "why do people watch anime?" is analogous to asking "why do people watch cartoons?"; and the simple answer is that it's just entertaining to watch.

But what separates anime from cartoons (technically anime is cartoons, but I'm comparing the subject to Western cartoons) is that there's a certain style (anime eyes, certain expressions, etc.), a deeper story explored (a lot of Western cartoons, maybe with a few exceptions like the original Teen Titans series, simply lack an overarching plot), and darker themes or violence (especially if the anime is adapted from a Shōnen manga).

Personally, I like anime for their stories and plot, but it's so easy to miss an episode or two, if new episodes show up every weekend (like maybe you're busy on one weekend); that's always been a common problem for me growing up. Like maybe a character dies in one episode that you missed, and you start wondering whatever happened to that character. But you have so many digital streaming services these days, and it's easy to watch episodes whenever you want.