1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Snowy, Jun 26, 2021.

Which version of Windows do you prefer?

1. Windows 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Rumors of Windows 11 have been circulating the Internet for some time, and it seems like Microsoft is actually going to release their upcoming operating system.

Some Features of Windows 11:
    - Centered taskbar, similar to Linux Deepin's taskbar
    - Widgets, similar to MacOS's desktop widgets
    - New frosted glass pane design
    - Snap groups for multitasking
    - Memorized desktop placement when (un)plugging monitor(s)
    - Support of Android apps through Amazon's appstore (with the ability to sideload apps), which could potentially bridge Android games to Windows

And finally, if you have Windows 10, then you can update to Windows 11 for free as long as your system meets requirements, which should be available by this holiday season.

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I won't have a real opinion until we start getting release candidate builds at the end of the year, but it definitely has the potential to drive me nuts and also be great.
    Since it won't have GMS there's a limit to what Android apps will work, but it should help take away from the frankly awful Android emulators out there.
    I'll be fine with the start menu changes if I can keep the full-screen view (best addition from Windows 8) and they don't hide my wallpaper behind the frosted glass look, but I'd generally like to keep the taskbar to the bottom left horizontally or top left vertically. Windows is often incredibly configurable, so I'm not too worried on that front. I hope that also comes with an off-switch for rounded corners...

The biggest strength will be the building in of some of the core PowerToys features to Windows itself. It's a shame though that with all their progress towards the new interfaces that the old control panel still continues to exist...

The worst thing about it will be locking out all computers without TPM 2.0. I think their desire to add this requirement is the entire motivation behind calling this Windows 11 instead of Windows 10 21H2 or 22H1. We'll see if they back down on it before release, but if not that's a lot of users that will find themselves locked out of Windows 11 without a new computer. Granting that their computers are likely at least five years old, that's still an unwelcome surprise.