1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Otherworld - sandbox, crafting, persistent browser game

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by Tariel, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Tariel

Tariel Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I didn't post in about 3 months but I just wanted you to know that things are relatively well. Recently we have been up to 5 daily players and some of them have 600+ lines of events.

Most recently I made it possible to save people from the wraith. It took two days of intensive coding and I didn't sleep very much last night. I have also made minor adjustments to the javascript functions to reduce repetition and unclarity.

The current big project is changing action buttons to use graphic icons instead of text. I wanted to use dropdown menus but my friend said that adding an extra click is bad for the user experience and it's better to have all the buttons visible at a glance. At first I was quite upset and I only made a set of icons out of spite, but they were received well, so after converting the inventory page into using graphic buttons, I later converted the ground items and container pages. There are still areas that need to be converted but reusing the same structures makes each new step take less time than the first ones.

There have been several small visual changes. I changed the background to be less distracting but it still has ghosts on it.

The website will soon be a year old. A few months ago I wasn't certain if I was going to renew the domain for year 2 but since there are active users with hundreds of lines of events, it wouldn't be fair towards them to close down the site when it doesn't cost all that much to keep it.

ogreman likes this.