1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

APB in retail refund row

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by GameOgreVideos, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Administrator says that those looking for a refund should contact those from whom they bought the game

Anyone seeking a refund on the now-defunct PC MMO title APB should speak to the retailer from whom they purchased the game, the administrator handling the closure of developer Realtime Worlds has stated.

The Dundee-based studio went into administration in August following the critical and commercial failure of the game, which according to some reports cost as much as $50m to develop.

“Customers should revert to the entity from which they bought the game in respect of their entitlement to any refund,†RTW administrator Begbies Traynor told MCV’s sister site Develop.

The servers hosting APB were switched off last night, meaning those who purchased the £34.99 title were left unable to play the product.

In addition, those who had paid additional fees to access the title beyond the 50 hours gametime included in the box are now out of pocket.

20 hours of additional time was available for £5.59. A one-month subscription cost £7.99 with discounts available for 90 and 180-day subscriptions. Another optional digital purchase was RTW Points, which could be redeemed against gametime or marketplace items.

RTW points were obtained directly through the game or via Realtime Worlds’ website, meaning anyone wanting a refund on those purchases will need to speak to the administrators.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Sad, at least they are offering refunds though.

3. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    Yeah, but really they are only offering refunds through the retailer and not from the game itself. So technically they aren't offering the out of luck players anything. I would be really mad if this happened to me. Luckily, I have found that WoW and Ryzom have excellent customer service so I doubt that it ever would. All of my experiences dealing with companies have been positive experiences.

4. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Tragic- APB turned out to be such a disaster :(

5. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    Yeah, I think that they went down way harder than they expected to. They did their homework, tried to make a game that had all the qualities that everyone liked, and yet it still failed. I think that you have to be somewhat unique to get ahead now. Games like WoW, Ryzom, Aion, EVE Online-- they all have unique characteristics that keep them in the black. Perhaps instead of homework on existing MMOs APB should have decided to make itself very unique.

6. kpreaper

kpreaper BamBam

Credit:
    It was a good game, my friends and I enjoyed it.

7. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Did you lose any subscribed time that you paid for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.