1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon's Call - A damn good browser-based MMORPG

Discussion in 'Browser Games' started by cavv, Oct 8, 2010.

1. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    If you're hunting for a new RPG, check out Dragon's Call, the new 2D browser-based RPG from developers GameDP and Lekool Inc. The game contains all the standard RPG features (classes, skill trees, quests, equipment upgrade systems, markets, PVP and guilds) as well as several interesting twists that make this one of the most addictive free-to-play RPGs I've ever seen.

Although the game is still technically in open beta, it already contains everything needed to make it a great game. The classes (warrior, mage, and assassin) are very intuitive and familiar, and the stats and skill tree are very easy to maneuver, while allowing you room to customize your character as you see fit.

[​IMG]

The quest system is very thorough, and ensures that new quests appear as quickly as you can tackle the current ones, so that you're not forced to do the same quests over and over again (although there is that option, if that sounds more appealing for some reason). Unfortunately, the NPC dialog is plagued by bad translations, but they're easily understandable, and the backstory wholly makes up for it. You get 150 action points a day to use for attacking and training, which is easily enough for quick leveling (I reached level 30 within 5 days of starting the game) but prevents players from simply level grinding 24/7, and encourages you to pick your battles carefully.

[​IMG]

Which brings me to the most unique and striking aspect of the game: the combat system. Battles are automatic and fast-paced, and you can watch them unfold as a flash animation or as a text summary, or simply close the battle screen and do something else while you wait for the battle to finish. The result of this is that level grinding requires very little player input, and you can access your inventory or even heal yourself up at the tavern while waiting for the battle to "finish". An interesting caveat though is this: the outcome of the battle is decided with a second or two of starting the battle, so healing yourself or changing your stats during the battle will have no effect. Thus, the focus of the game is on strategizing, planning, and choosing your battles wisely, instead of the battle mechanics. You can even direct your character to "auto-attack" or train for up to several hours at a time, while you take a break from the game.

[​IMG]

Finally, this game is different from other free-to-play games in that spending money in the game mall is not at all necessary to be successful in the game, or to have fun with the game. However, if you're so inclined, it can be very helpful for giving your character a boost, like "VIP status" for a couple of days, a percentage gold or exp boost for a few hours, or buying items to upgrade your equipment. However, all of the items you can buy this way can be found in-game, so you're not "missing out" if you play the game for free.

[​IMG]

All in all, this game provides some very entertaining gameplay, despite its simple controls and extremely low hardware requirements. The in-game sprites, maps, and pictures are all extremely well-made, so the game looks great. Finally, there are several different collaboration elements (a mentor/apprentice system, guilds, and the innovative Instance system), as well as PVP options (fighting for rank in the arena, looting other players for gold in the wild, or guild wars for status and other benefits). The game manages to tie this all together in a very satisfying way, and it can only get better, since it's still in open beta.

2. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    LOooks cool my try it

3. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    Yeah, it's a great browser game. My ign: coolboy server:1

4. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    Do you jion, julein? I can't find you in the game.

5. Julein

Credit:
    no not yet, kinda busy right now

6. ice grim reaper

ice grim reaper Brute

Credit:
    Played it and got bored.I quit the game since the gameplay is hit and click.

7. darkmeiser

darkmeiser Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    aw, i thought it was you know just like pet forest game.

8. Julein

Credit:
    okay cavv i will try today i think

9. ice grim reaper

ice grim reaper Brute

Credit:
    Why do you think of the game now guys???

10. Julein

Credit:
    i still haven't tried it been SUPER busy lately srry cavv cant today

11. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    It doesn't matter...Man, You are busy.

12. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    Man, I know you're busy...:D

13. Julein

Credit:
    signing up right now dont know if i will be able to play much between soccer, school, and friends

14. Julein

Credit:
    which server should i do????????????

15. cavv

cavv Little Spike

Credit:
    Server 2 is more players.

16. Julein

Credit:
    okay i made my char and got lvl 2 or 3 i think her name is Julein