1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Joker, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serenade21

serenade21 Club Swinger

Credit:
    - imo
    it simply means many people love and support him,they are thankful because of his knowledge.. those millions of children especially in africa died for hunger, but let me ask this one question, why do they keep on creating children despite of having nothing? they keep on creating babies even though they know that they can't feed them. they can't even feed their selves. we cant always compare someone to somebody or any body because they are far different. just saying my thoughts.. no offense! love you guys :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  2. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    While I don't wish to open a discussion, because it is way offtopic and I while I understand you're reasoning for keeping things in a relative perspective. I feel I should note that I don't agree with all that is said.

Those parents in Africa have as much a right to create babies as their more affluent counterparts in other countries. And it is not that they don't know with certainty that they can't feed them nor themselves. As a geographer I'd inform you, that the horn of Africa is in fact a large valley with lots of fertile soil and quite suitable to raise crops to feed people. It is just that it is a war torn region, with many weak governments. It is also a region prone to occassional droughts, that occur at irregular intervals. Now with a good organisation this climate should not be a problem, when you have one dry year, but the fact that these countries lack effective governments makes it a problem.

I would also further make clear, that these problems of weak governments occured after the collapse of the Abyssinian dynasty in 1974, a Christian orthodox empire in Africa, that claims to have the arc of the covenant and dynastic and familial ties to King Solomon, the very same one is who is mentioned in the old testament of the bible.

This Ethiopian Empire was severely weakened in the late thirties of the twentieth century, when Italy invaded it. The very same Italy that was then run by Benito Mussolini, the Fascist dictator, and friend and ally of none other than the notorious Adolf Hitler. This second Italo-Ethiopian war that was started by Benito Mussolini, was an absolutely gruesome and genocidal war in which more than a quarter of a million innocent peasants are reputed to have died at the hands of the Italians. Many were murdered with poison gas (the very same kinds also used on the Jews who died in the concentration camps such as Auswitzch). This war and genocide and subsequent colonial wars is what ultimately caused the collapse of the Ethiopian empire and is why even today it is so fragile a region, because they've had such a bad history, which even now they're trying to recover from, a matter not made easy, because Somalia is largely run by muslim fundamentalist warlords and pirates. The very same guys that have ties with the likes of Al Qaida.

Now it is likely that you didn't know this, so I'm just mentioning this history, because it explains why I disagree with your conclusion.

The reason that I disagree with your conclusion, is because it is basically a form of Galton's eugenics that you're hinting at, or that you're suggesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  3. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Just noticed this post today. I agree with you and many of the others in this thread--Steve Jobs was a great innovator with a pretty admirable sense of vision, but so many people are making him into a martyr. Not to downplay him or his successes, but I wouldn't consider him a hero.

People keep drawing parallels between Randy Pausch and Steve Jobs but there is a world of difference. For anyone who doesn't know who Randy is, check out this video (it's long but one of the most powerful speeches I've seen). Watch it and you'll see what I mean. :)

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams - YouTube

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.