1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

DLC Content

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by ogreman, Dec 28, 2011.

Do you like DLC?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Do you like DLC content in your games?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It all depends on the game and whats in it :p

for black ops i loved them because of the zombie maps :D

besides that i doubt ill get any other dlcs

3. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like the new stuff but it feels money-hungry most of the time, and I would honestly rather them spend the time on a new a me instead of milking their success.

4. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    *cringes at tautology* If the game itself is a complete game, and the dlc isn't a way of turning it into one, it's fine, I guess. I'd rather them spend the time and effort on a new game, usually.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I like DLC when it makes sense and doesn't feel like a cash grab. DLC is rapidly becoming just a way to make more money... heck it's becoming more and more popular to just include the DLC on the disc and just sell the unlock code x.x. It's so annoying buying a game and then seeing $60 worth of DLC especially when the DLC adds to the story. The absolute worst though is clicking on a cave... manhole cover... door etc and a screen pops up that says buy now for $x.xx. At that point it's just sad what gaming has become. I miss the days where Devs would put out a big update for free or super cheap just to thank the fans :(

/rant

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    DLC can be good if it keeps a game interesting for you after hitting the maximum level of the game.

7. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    I like DLC, if it's free.

I can't afford to pay for on a game i already spend $60 on sometimes.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Very true, Ichigo:). The DLC for Dungeon Defenders is good, but it was also on sale when I bought it:).

9. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    DLC should be free!

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Generally I don't like DLC but I buy it anyway. Example:

Fallout 3 and (when I reach that point in my game on PC) Fallout New Vegas- I had to go out and buy the DLC just so that it would raise the level cap. That's the type of thing I should NOT have to pay for in an entirely single-player experience.

Call of Duty- I end up wasting my money on the DLC. Multiplayer maps like that should not cost $15. Instead, Call of Duty should have a level editor like Halo 3 did.. the custom games on that were mind-blowing. And with all of the money they make, the maps that go in the standard multiplayer game modes like TDM should be free and released periodically throughout the games life cycle.

Batman Arkham City- Games like this where the DLC is mostly to play as Robin and Nightwing make me angry. This type of content should be included from day 1 when the game is released.

Elder Scrolls- This kind of DLC I don't mind as much. Elder Scrolls add-ons are known to be lengthy and add a lot of content to the game. Generally they are pretty decent for the price as well. Sure it's likely they could have included said content in the original product but it's still better value than paying for 4 multiplayer maps at $3.75 a piece (CoD).

Quake- In Quake and Quake II they had extra mission packs. These I was okay with and made sense back in the day when DLC was a new concept. The developers had created a complete product with a set ending. The DLC was a new setting with completely new characters and back-stories that added to the experience of the world, and it all came at a fair price. This is what most DLC should be.

Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die- I'm also okay with DLC in games like this. The games are like $15 to begin with, a fair price considering what each game contains. Then DLC is a couple bucks extra for many, many hours of extra gameplay. Fair enough.

World of Warcraft- Though it doesn't justify the high monthly price to play the game, the expansions for the game are always fairly priced. Especially considering how large each expansion is and how much it adds to the story of the virtual world.

These are just some examples of various types of games and my feelings towards how DLC is implemented in them.

11. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    It would be nice if DLC were free.. but I don't know about "should".

Back in the day DLC used to be free (for the most part). However, the business of gaming has changed and evolved. In fact, it's probably be safer to say that gaming has BECOME a business. Video games used to be like a side thing. Nowadays though, gaming is considered just as serious as the music industry and movie industry. People respect it as entertainment. Which means that gaming is all about money now. You can argue whether or not that's good for gaming but that would be off-topic so start another thread if you'd like to discuss that. Regardless and back on topic, making the gaming business all about money means that developers <3 DLC. Let's look at it from their point of view.. they already have the game backstory, game engine, etc. All they have to do is slap a $15 price tag and BOOM, more money.

Let's look at the business side of things.

Call of Duty Black Ops sold like 5 million copies on launch day. Let's not worry about special editions and shit and just agree that each of the 5 million copies was the standard $60, and let's also assume that they sold 0 copies after launch day. So exactly 5,000,000.

5000000*60= $300,000,000

300 million dollars on launch day.

Now Black Ops had 4 DLC's at $15 each for a total of $60 in all. Of the 5 million people that bought Black Ops, let's say that 1/5 buy all of the DLC (I was one of those saps).

1000000*60=$60,000,000

60 million dollars for DLC.

So now they've made $360 mil. instead of $300 mil. And that's using conservative estimates where only 1/5 people buy DLC. Plus it's sporadic because different DLC's sold better than others, etc. Plus MILLIONS of copies were sold after launch day as well so even if it was 1/5 that's still more than the million people I calculated this was on launch day.

Bottom line: $60 million dollars for making a little more than a dozen multiplayer maps and a couple zombie maps. 20% more earnings.

Bottom bottom line: A 20% revenue increase means paid DLC isn't going away anytime soon.

12. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i thought black ops dlc was worth it for the zombies...really epic maps xcept dissapointed about shangrila

13. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Little off-topic...

Games are getting more and more expensive to make. Example, a publisher pays a mid-sized developer to make an original IP game, it cost 30M to make and was funded completely by the publisher. That game is now selling for $60 a piece on 360 and Ps3... sorry PC.... anyways that $60 gets split like this:

$6 for the Devs... usually more but it depends on a number of factors
    $12 for the Retailers... shelf space cost money
    $4 for distribution and production (case, manual and disc)
    $12 to Sony or Microsoft, for being on their platform
    $7 for marketing... can be more or less
    $19 to the publisher

Other things can come into play like if it's an existing IP you may have to pay royalties... if it's a big name Dev you may have to pay them more... Retailers may lower the cost for big releases or for exclusive content (pre-order bonuses etc)... Sony or Microsoft may pay for exclusive content or even the full game to be exclusive etc...

But for the sake of example lets just say this is how it worked out and the Publisher is getting $19 a game. Now the Publisher is $30M in the hole, at $19 a game they need roughly 1.6M copies sold just to break even. 1.6M comes out to $30.4M, obviously $400k profit on a $30M investment isn't gonna cut it.

The game sells 2M copies, bring in $38M for the publisher, after the $30M investment the total to $8M. This is where DLC comes in, $8M on a $30M investment isn't that great and this is a perfect world where the Publisher has 0 running costs.

It was decided this game is gonna have two big map packs, priced at $15 each, the DLC breaks down like this:

Cost to the Publisher: 500k

$3 for Microsoft or Sony
    $5 to the Devs
    $7 for Publisher

Again other factors come in the pricing. I'm not sure on the exact cut Sony and Microsoft take for DLC or the cost of development.

The DLC packs sell 250k each for a total of $3m for the Publisher, combined with the original $8M the total is now $11M which is a lot better than the original $8M.

Game development costs are going up and DLC is being used to balance this out vs raising the cost of games past $60. The problem for us consumers is what a few Dev and Publishers are using simply to stay above water (still doesn't justify ripping us off)... a few Publishers are using simply as cash grabs. CoD does not need $15 map packs, it makes more on game sales alone than 3-5 average games put together. They are simply milking us for cash. Content is nice but only when the price is justified.

14. PortalCut

PortalCut Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    That does a good job of explaining things. Most of the time I thought DLC's were just cash grabs (some are good content though) and I prefer not buying them.

I DID buy one DLC though, and that's for an extra character in a fighting game (Platinum the Trinity). Come next installment of the franchise, and she's part of the regular game (there goes my $8). o_O

15. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  16. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Mostly, yes. But it depends on what game it is

17. PolanWalker

PolanWalker Ogre Hall of Fame The Pit

Credit:
    Many people thinks that everything should be free ;) Im one of them :D But for real DLC are for players and producers. First pay to have it, second made to sell and all happy :D

18. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I choose yes, but it goes both ways to me.

19. Zebracal

Zebracal Club Swinger

Credit:
    For me it depends on the game. I believe that the games that are being released are always incomplete games. They will always prompt these kind on DLC's so that they give the game more life and a stronger lifespan.

20. Astrid

Astrid Little Spike

Credit:
    Of course. It's great to have more missions or other options in game which i like.