1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

WURM online a medevial simulator

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by sonic, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonic

sonic BamBam

Credit:
    This game just had a huge update and added an all new mission system where you can become a god! :sunny:

Wurm is a light fantasy, role-playing, skill-based, sandbox game which is done in the first person perspective. Notch, who developed Minecraft, was one of the original developers of this game but had left quite some time ago, and Rolf Jansson and his Team are the current developers.

There are two servers with ‘Freedom’ being the most populated. ‘Wild’ is the Player versus Player (PvP) server and Freedom is the Player versus Environment (PvE) server. The two are linked but most of your stuff does not go with you. There’s also a player economy based on coins. Silver coins can be bought with real money. The coins can be used to buy player made items (which are actually worth it) and to pay for villages and their upkeep.

The fantasy elements are very light with a few fantasy creatures such as goblins , trolls and unicorns. There is also magic but it is not like most fantasy game because it has to be developed and puts severe restrictions on your character. This means magic is quite rare as well as very useful.

In many ways the role-playing and sandbox elements of the game give it a very strong pioneer and survivalist feel especially on the more dangerous wild server. Because Wurm is so open ended, players are able to assume realistic and varied roles.

The game world is vast at around 512 square km (198 sq miles) and rich with topography, structures, biomes, people and wildlife. Because it is a sandbox game it is designed to be altered. You can chop trees down, alter the ground to flatten or shape, build your own structures, mine into the ground, build roads and found a village.

The tutorial allows for a gentle learning curve. Although it is tightly scripted the world opens up once done which lets you do what you want

Being new to Wurm means you will likely benefit from the community’s vast knowledge and the Wurmpedia. You may also decide to join a village or some friends. All these will help you understand how to do things from making a rake to finding iron ore in your mine. There is a lot to learn. This game is very rich in content.

There are no NPC quests. Nope not a single one. Everything you are driven to do is through yourself or other players wanting or needing it done. The fictional and boring NPC quest driven time wasting device is gone. No more of fetch me 45 golden eggs of magical whimsy by killing 250 mystical Poobahs. And it couldn’t be less missed. Now any ‘quest’ is driven by desire and need. You want to find gold for a reason, you’re hunting for the meat you need, you visit somewhere because they have something you actually want.

Monsters are another big difference. They are relatively rare and not instant kills and there is no +10 Great Chainsaw Sword of Instant Death. Most creatures are real or enlarged real animals eg deer or huge spider. Some of these creatures are quite dangerous. Death in the game leaves all your valuable stuff on the body and causes slight skill loss. Thus death is a serious consequence and you have to go back to your body (and likely the monster which killed you) to get your stuff back. For really hardcore players in the Wild server your stuff can be looted as well. This monster difficulty and death mechanism is a huge improvement to immersion in the game. In other MMOs like Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft you can’t turn around without bashing your shield on one of the millions of fast spawning monster clones. In Wurm killing just one giant spider can be an epic battle and because it was fun it can actually be memorable. In Warcraft killing 100 is just boring. Ask yourself, do you remember many of the battles in those other games?

What I can’t do in this space is go over all the content, but let me assure you that there is a lot for you to enjoy. There are 114 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, 3 Religion Characteristics and 4 Gods. There’s also a huge array of titles to earn. The content is enough that the question of not having much to do pretty much never pops up.

Wurm is also actively developed so content comes in on game updates all the time. The major update changes I’ve seen while playing are ships and boats, animal breeding, a great deal of graphical improvement, ambient sounds and non housing structures.

The goal in Wurm is just as open ended. Obviously survival is a plus but past that is what you would like to do. Run a village? Go PvP and raid? Explore and hunt with friends? Try your hand at squeezing some money out of the economy with traders? Blacksmithing all day? Design and Build your own house? Breed ridable horses? Build a winery and vineyard?

Wurm is a good game for positive entertainment because it can help people unfamiliar with products in their everyday life to understand the basics of where they come from as well as providing a good place for creativity and open ended expression.

I want to emphasize that wurm can be quite difficult at two levels. One is the learning curve factor. The tutorial and community can help but there really is a lot to understand since this game mimics real life to a degree.

There’s also creatures which are very tough and there’s no ‘red’ type of warning for that. The solution to that is to learn to see them before they see you and to run away like a screaming girl in pigtails if you have to.

Wurm is very much pretty and even more so at a distance. You can see some stupendous vistas in many places in the game. There are sunsets, rain, fog and lightening. The water is breathtaking and has been the best water I’ve ever seen in a game. There is one glaring problem amidst all this beauty. Player models and many creature models are awful especially in animation. They say they are working on this. It is needed.

There is the occasional music played in the game but I admit I turn them off. It’s not so much that the music is unpleasant, quite the contrary, but more that it suddenly blares out at you for no apparent reason.

In game sounds have vastly improved and are now very good with the only exception I know being fires are painfully loud for some reason.

Getting into the game flaws, there are a lot of rules on villages and other things which can detract from the fun. The rules are fair for the most part but can be hard to follow and sometimes cause mistakes.

Sometimes the interface can be a bit confusing because it is not the standard type one usually expects.

Try today for free, come to the MR home server named desertion on the epic cluster and ask for me and ill give ya a hand!

wurm online!

2. sonic

sonic BamBam

Credit:
    Has anyone tried it? I have a nice big fortress built if anyone wants to try come to MR kingdom on elevation server, I can supply high quality tools to help you get started!

3. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Can I see a screenie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.