1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How to add strategies in fightings?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Chanceux, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chanceux

Chanceux Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    I add those questions :
    - Are you satisfied with the fighting system of most MMO's?
    - What improvement would you propose?
    - Can you show some exceptions in some games?

To me, fighting is only select your best gear/spell and hit the monster(s).
    If the monsters are weak ones -> grinding while one shooting them
    If the monsters are resistants -> you hit.... hit... hit.... wait..... then kill or get killed if you don't have enough pots and can't escape

Most of the time monsters allways have the same attack. There is even no true difference between long range/small range....

Few propositions :
    The geography could be of more importance (with clever monsters that choose where to go)
    Varying the types of attack the monsters use
    Some games use the weakness cycles style of strategy (like the basic Fire->water->....)

2. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    1. No, I want more freedom when fighting.
    2. Focus more on fighting rather use the same button mashing system over and over.
    3. A few games offer more realistic fighting like Darkfall. The targeting system is not automatic.

3. PortalCut

PortalCut Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    When I read the title, I was like "Do what Blazblue/Guilty Gear" does (those games are like Starcraft, in fighting game form), but then I saw that it was about fighting action MMOs.

Perhaps make some attacks have properties like high, mid, or low and some attacks have advantage over others like Soul Calibur's system. Perhaps make attacks have a rocks-papers-scissors system as well.

Of course, that's gonna be a major issue when you're fighting more than one enemy at a time, but that'd probably be something for the developers to consider. Maybe quicktime scenes for each attacker? Make them attack one at a time, but you suffer penalties because of taking on more than one enemy (like how in Ragnarok you lose flee)?

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Good thread that might could have done better in a different forum besides Debates:).

1. Fighting Systems can always be improved:).
    2. A fighting system that is deep yet can be played learned quickly.
    3. TERA has a good fighting system.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I like DCUO's fighting system. It has the typical power bar found in most MMO's but also adds unlockable combos as you progress. Like as a brawler one of the stun attacks is click then click again but hold... also others like left click twice then hold right click etc. This keeps it simple but adds depth to the combat. It's quite a lot of clicking however.

6. Nelson Williams

Nelson Williams Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I agree with the DC Universe Online fighting system. Everyone has quick and potentially powerful melee attacks and mobility abilities that are always on and ready to go. Stack powers on top of that and you can set up some interesting combos while keeping things fast and exciting.

I don't like the arcade button-mashing combos, though, since those are hard to remember, especially in a good throwdown. Instead, just combine your basic attacks and add in quick power usage. That's really all you need to grab someone, throw them into the air, then blast them over the horizon with eye beams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.