1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

En masse entertainment announces tera pre-orders and closed beta plans

Discussion in 'Game News' started by GameOgreVideos, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    En Masse Entertainment™, a gamer-built publisher focused on delivering fun and innovative online games, announced today that its award-winning, PC-based action MMO title, TERA™, is now available for pre-order from the company’s website and retailers throughout North America for $49.99. Players who pre-order TERA will have access to all of the game’s Closed Beta Tests, scheduled to take place from February through April, as well as an exclusive Head Start play period over the weekend prior to the game’s launch on May 1st.

“By breaking away from yesterday’s repetitive combat systems, and delivering real action, TERA is going to keep players on their toes and actively engaged in the game,†said Chris Lee, Vice President of Publishing at En Masse Entertainment. “The days of staring at your skill bar while pounding the Tab key are over. By requiring players to actively aim, dodge, and block, TERA’s action combat introduces real skill to MMO gameplay.â€

En Masse Entertainment will be releasing two collector’s editions of TERA—a traditional boxed edition and a digital download. Both will grant players unique in-game items, including the Regal Frostlion Mount for in-game mounted travel, and two equippable items: the level 15 Velik’s Bloodstone Necklace and the level 40 Shakan’s Bloodstone Necklace.

Available in limited quantities, the physical Limited Collector’s Edition will include collectable items such as a Letter of Marque, a canvas world map, a field guide, a Valkyon Federation-issued compass, and a game soundtrack, for $79.99. The Digital Collector’s Edition will be offered for $59.99. Both versions include 30 days of game time.

En Masse Entertainment will be hosting five Closed Beta Tests for TERA, allowing select gamers the opportunity to get into the game and preview its blend of action-heavy combat and traditional MMO depth. The Closed Beta Tests, the Open Beta Test that will be open to the general public closer to launch, and Head Start will take place on the following dates:

• Closed Beta Test 1: February 10 – 12
    • Closed Beta Test 2: February 24 – 26
    • Closed Beta Test 3: March 9 – 11
    • Closed Beta Test 4: March 23 – 25
    • Closed Beta Test 5: April 6 – 8
    • Open Beta Test: April 19 – 22
    • Head Start: April 28 – May 1

Gamers can pre-order TERA now, and ensure their place in the Closed Beta Tests, by clicking here: store.enmasse.com. Additionally, gamers who sign up at TERA-online.com may be chosen at random to participate in the upcoming Beta Tests.

To further celebrate the upcoming launch of this innovative game, En Masse Entertainment is debuting a new series of videos featuring the “MMO-FO,†which will be ongoing throughout the Closed Beta period. This video series, starring mixed martial arts legend Bas Rutten, brings the concept of action combat to life as only Bas can. The first “MMO-FO†video can be viewed here, and downloaded below.

The recipient of multiple industry honors and accolades, TERA is a new breed of online game that combines all the depth of a traditional MMO with the visceral gratification of an action game. In TERA, players must actively aim, dodge and block, as the game’s real-time combat system depends not on stats, but on player skill. After creating a customized character from one of seven races and eight classes, players enter a world of savage beauty, joining an armed alliance in a bid to save the world from ravaging armies who threaten to destroy their lives, their world, and their reality.

2. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Pre-ordered yesterday! Im so excited, this game is so awesome :)

3. Leorio

Leorio MMORPGer

Credit:
    Wonder how they can legally accept direct pre-orders for a game that had been deemed stolen property by the courts...and is currently under review by western courts as well.

The current lawsuit claims that the U.S. version of Tera makes use of NCsoft's trade secrets, including documents, source code, artwork and know-how related to the development on Lineage 3, and copyrighted works, including concept art created for Lineage 3.

It also asserts claims of breach of confidence, unfair competition and unjust enrichment.

The suit seeks temporary and permanent injunctions blocking the release of Tera in the U.S., as well as enhanced damages for Bluehole's alleged misconduct.

Here's a link to the direct complaint filed by NCsoft.
    http://tsi.brooklaw.edu/sites/tsi.b...t-al-v-bluehole-studio-inc-et-alcomplaint.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  4. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

NCsoft has been dragging this out for years with attempted lawsuit after attempted lawsuit.

It didnt stop the game from being released in Korea, they didnt even try to stop it being released in Japan. They havent tried to stop it in Europe and I doubt their attempts will have any effect in the US either.

In addition NCsoft asks in the lawsuit for either the property to be returned(which Bluehole claims they already did) or for restitution to be paid. Which means EME can pay off NCsoft and still run the game if the courts decide in NCsoft's favor.

on a side note: we dont allow links to other gaming forums etc here. I have edited your post. Your link to the lawsuit can stay.

5. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    this sounds great cat, I hope I get into 1 beta at least :)

6. Leorio

Leorio MMORPGer

Credit:
    @ Cat
    Yeah, they (NCSoft) won back in 2009, 2010, and 2011 but Bluehole keeps appealing the results, with varying degrees of failure.
    The game was released in Korea late in 2011 during a brief period of time when NCSoft couldn't stop them, and shortly after the lawsuit was reopened due to there being obvious stolen intellectual property.
    The preorders for NA are most likely going to be used to pay for some American lawyers, judging by the fact that NCSoft is using one of the best firms in America for this lawsuit. What I am wondering is this: 'What happens if NCSoft wins the suit and decides to not allow the game to be launched in the states, or even decides to take all net profit from the game as their damages? The current legal climate for the USA is pretty much going to make this battle a one-sided massacre in NCSoft's favor...

Also, TERA is slated to launch on May 3rd, 2012 in Europe. It has yet to launch in the West...

7. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Actually Bluehole has had success in the appeals not failure. Believe me I have followed this game for years, I know all the lawsuits, the outcomes, the stories, and I have even read every page of that lawsuit you posted weeks ago when it was actually filed. Our head ogre got to meet the EME staff at E3 last year and played some TERA with them.

I have played TERA on the korean servers when it launched and for months afterwords, its an awesome game. Thats really all I care about. I try not to get involved in the drama. Bluehole knew what they were up against and I dont think they would have come this far without thinking they had a chance of success.

Anyone can play on the European Servers, and NCsoft has not gone after Europe just like they havent gone after Japan even though Japan TERA is fully released and operating. I have accounts and full beta access on US and EU servers, so either way Im covered. If and thats a big IF something would happen in the USA, they would probably just turn EU into a global version(which it really already is since anyone can play on the EU servers including NA). I just dont think its something to stress or worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.