1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

WoW Mist of Pandaria Thread

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by ogreman, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Any thoughts or views on this latest expansion for WoW thus far?

2. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    MoP Sales Underwhelm?

Analysts describe Mists of Pandaria sales as below expectations.

How is Mists of Pandaria for you?

Most of the folks I speak to -- I haven't had chance to play it myself yet, that will change shortly -- are quite positive about World of Warcraft's latest expansion.

However, as reported by Venture Beat, one analyst believes that MoP is not going to perform as well as previous releases.

[​IMG]

Atul Bagga, of investment bank Lazard Capital Markets, proclaimed that retail sales of MoP are 60% below those for Cataclysm. This figure does not include digital copies, but Bagga believes that purchased donloads will not make up for the shortfall on overall sales.

This speculation has to be of concern for Activision/Blizzard due to the huge importance of World of Warcraft in regards to the companies' overall revenue.

In my opinion, it's too early to be hammering a nail in the expansion's coffin for a number of reasons.

Firstly, there's no doubt a lot of players were disappointed by Cataclysm and could still pick up MoP if there is positive buzz regarding its content. Though certainly rates of early adoption would have been affected, it doesn't count out the possibility of long term players coming back if their guildies report that all is well in Pandaria.

Secondly, many people -- including myself -- are moving to digital and it could be easy to underestimate the size of that avenue of sales for the overall performance of the expansion.

Still, there's no doubt that WoW finds itself challenged by the success of Guild Wars 2 -- the biggest launch of any competitor to WoW -- as well as its own longevity. It is a game that has been around so long its player churn could be starting to catch up to it.

Are you playing MoP? What do you think so far?

Did you pass on buying it? If so, would you pick it up if there are enough players giving good reviews?

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Merged the two threads here:).

MoP may be a good expansion, but I think the days of WoW breaking records with expansion sales are pretty much over. In other words, the bloom is off the rose for WoW. Momentum is heading the other way as the MMO market is very saturated. Guild Wars 2 with its buy-to-play model probably did not help:).

4. mephiston

mephiston Little Spike

Credit:
    well for me I stopped playing WOW at cata because at that point the game change sooo much it was not even funny plus I had been playing it for several years already soo. Iv been eying MOP but with out some good reviews from people I trust.. (Oger, Friends) not sure ill get back in to it. And frankly Raiderz will have my attention again when it open betas and its F2P so its a bonus. If anyone on here has been playing MOP let us know whats up..

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, I stopped after Cataclysm despite playing for years as well. There was just too much change after so much time that it did not feel like the same game to me.

Also awaiting the open beta of RaiderZ:). Was starting to really enjoy that game when closed beta ended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.