1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft Movie

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Aaddron, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Notch announced on Twitter that Mojang and Warner Brothers are working on a Minecraft Movie. It sounds like the success of LEGO movies, more recently The LEGO Movie were part of the motivation for Warner Brothers to bring Minecraft to the big screen. In fact! Warner Brothers has reportedly already hired the very same producer behind The LEGO Movie, Roy Lee and his production company to work on the film.

Now nothing has been set in stone yet, Warner Brother has indeed acquired the rights to a Minecraft Movie but beyond that the whole project is still very early. It's a safe bet any movie is at least a year off and at this early stage it's still possible it could be canned.

Video games have a spotty track record in film, it's common they are announced and then cancelled before seeing the light of day or worst they make it and are horrible or nothing like the original IP. Minecraft wasn't suppose to make it either though so I suppose I can't really bet against it.

I'm sure more details will surface in the coming year, it'll be really interesting to see where this goes, particularly story wise... it's not like Minecraft has a full lore flushed out thousands of years to pull from but I do suppose it has thousands of player story's to draw from.

What do you guys think? Is this Good, Bad, Not Sure? Anyone excited?

Source

2. dj messi

dj messi Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    This is awesome! Thanks for the information I'm really excited! Sounds like a really good idea!

3. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Honestly, I'm not sure at all. I know that Minecraft have been an incredibly succesful game, and I really did enjoy all my hours that I've spent in the game. Although I'm not completely sure that it fits as a movie. Hopefully, I'm wrong though.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, it's tough to imagine how it could be turned into movie as the game itself has no story of it's own but then again neither does LEGO's and somehow that turned out good xD

5. Thedarkboy

Credit:
    Hmm.. I didn't watch the LEGO movie yet xD Gonna watch it sometime though, just not sure when ^^ Although if they do make a Minecraft movie, it will just be as any other movie, creating an own story. The only difference will probably be that the movie will be played in the Minecraft world xD

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    I suppose it could be something like Seedlings, minus making it in Minecraft itself. Probably be CGI (although it would be cool if they could somehow shoot it in Minecraft itself and then released the world for download with the movie :O). I don't know but I really want to see a Creeper on the big screen xD

7. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    The problem with this is its potential. Though it has the potential to be something nice and entertaining, its potential to be a grand disaster is probably much larger.

Omg, they could put speakers in the seats, and not use those until a creeper is about to blow, so you hear the ssssssssst behind you, that would scare the crap out of me lol

8. Thedarkboy

Credit:
    Even though you would expect it? xD

Even if the movie won't turn out well, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a huge success anyways, considering the amount of people that have actually played Minecraft. Not sure if the movie will be something for people that never even heard of Minecraft though.

9. GhostTech

GhostTech MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I don't really know how that's supposed to look,but I'm looking forward to seeing it!

10. ApcehCraft

ApcehCraft MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    That would be gorgeus!

11. xCroLuka

xCroLuka Brute New Ogre

Credit:
  12. LoL GAMER

LoL GAMER Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
  13. Seigai

Seigai MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I'm not a fan of that idea ,don't think it will be good . :)

14. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    This is a nice idea :). I believe FNAF has a movie coming out soon to theaters but I'm not sure. I kinda have an idea of what the plot/story would be but I'm not Mojang or Warner Brothers :D. Something good OR bad may come out of it or it just won't be released at all. ;)

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    They've been pretty quiet about this but last I seen it was still on track, Microsoft has been confirmed on board too.

16. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Cool, I hope it comes out :). Then I'll have everyone start talking about it :D!

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    Agree, hopefully it does make it out.

18. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Are there room for movie ? I mean are there some specific story that can be used for movie, or entire game is just random building and digging ?

19. Aaddron

Credit:
    Minecraft will provide the setting, the movie will provide the story. :) Minecraft actually makes a very good setting as it's basically a blank slate, through building and animation they will literally be able to make pretty much any story they wish. If I had to point to one movie it'd be The Lego Movie, lego's have no story of their own but they brought together the pieces to form a pretty in lengthy tale.

20. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like that movie have good story, thats why am not fan of lego movie, i was just wondering if game has story so movie can follow it,