1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard101 is a fun mmorph type of game

Discussion in 'Lists and Directory' started by seasnake, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasnake

seasnake BamBam

Credit:
    Its a fun 2D mmorph with a turn based battle system, where players make a wizard from one of many different schools of training. I really like the game, though its subscription based its free to play the initial maps, then you can subscribe to access all areas or pay to permanently play an area, or raise enough in game gold to enter without paying (its doable, though not an easy task). Also if you refer people who later pay, you get enough game credit for an entire months subscription, or you can choose instead to permanently unlock game areas, or use the in game money for items or whatever.

When you die, you are teleported home, and since home is next to the learning skill area, going home isn't a bad thing. In fact, you can teleport home anytime you wish and decorate it with items you find in the game (I have a huge unicorn statue in mine). Fun game, that is well worth playing even if you only wish to play for a day or two. It has a pvp area with ratings boards that are occaisionally reset to make them fun, so you can either enter a rated fight or choose to merely practice.

Must say, love this game, and I've played many and commented on many throughout the years.
    It takes no time to download and unpack the game (no more than a few minutes).

If you try it, please use my referal number when signing so I can continue playing the game: 73894-08125-09680-24371

I'd really apreciate it... game is at wizard101.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  2. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Why use a referral number?

3. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So he gets a referal bonus?

4. Kooni

Kooni BamBam

Credit:
    ill try it now :cool:

5. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I've done the demo, it seemed pretty good.

6. dragon730

dragon730 Big Brute

Credit:
    yea it seems fun but kinda weird that theres only demo

7. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Wizard 101 is a free MMO, not a demo.

8. seasnake

seasnake BamBam

Credit:
    Wizard 101 is not a free MMO, it has initial free content but you can only level to about 9 or 10 on the free content until you run out of areas/quests. Players can otherwise level up to a max of 50. I leveled to the low 20's during the Holloween event where there was additional areas to play. The pvp arena is really fun whether you play for free or not, its like playing a game of highly animated cards.

9. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    How much does it cost per month?

10. seasnake

seasnake BamBam

Credit:
    I am not sure of its costs, I do know it has a monthly membership fee, or you can pay for permanent access to different areas. It has a great referal system where if someone uses your referal number to sign up for the game and then pays for anything, as the referer you get credit for the amount they spent on a 1:1 basis. If you signed up and spent $10, then I would get a $10 credit. The game also offers family accounts so if you pay for access, everyone in your household can also have access (you would have to read up on this though).

The game community is absolutely fantastic everyone is all chipper and friendly, even the paying members towards the non-paying. People can pay in game money for houses and furnish them, and everyone seems to come to visit, the more the merrier.

In terms of end game, there is a pvp match area one that ranks and one that does not rank. The ranked is for paying customers, the non-ranked is free. Those who play and level all the way up to 50 still find the higher level gaming fights fun and difficult and enjoy playing with their friends. Everyone is happy playing with both paying and non-paying players in the free, non-ranked arena as the faster tables fill the better.

In game chat can be a bit tricky, if you signed up with a birthdate that indicates you are a minor you are unable to text chat without first getting your parents permission. If you sign up with a later year birth date then you get text chat immediately. Game chat has a harsh filter on it that prevents many words from being written very easily, such as numbers (I don't think they want kids to be able to give out their addresses or phone numbers to internet strangers).

I like playing cards, so with a free account I find it worth playing for the pvp matches alone, and because I use pvp as my end game I don't have to spend tons of time trying too level up and the like to keep up with everyone. Players can create gold playing cards that anyone can use with cheap plus up cards, so as a low level free player you can still play and have access to the top cards, and your high level friends don't seem to mind one bit supplying you with such cards. It should also be mentioned that it is very easy to get high level friends (expecially if you play pvp, and/or have text chat), they often invite you out of the blue to be their friend.

I have a level 10 friend who hasn't advanced at all in months, she still wants to play pvp and go to all the houses and the like, and I bet she also has many high level friends. That is the thing about this game, the playing community is the best I've seen, everyone wants friends (even if they are free to play), you can teleport to your friends when they are on, no one cares if you are free to play or pay to play. Its just a fun game that to me has an end game whether you are free or pay, and high level players will still play pvp with low level players and do their best to keep them alive during play.

Best incentive to try this game is that it takes only about two minutes to get the game before you start playing it. So with no download and set-up time to talk of, its free entertainment to get to level 9 or 10 should you have nothing to do and want to play something immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  11. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    The referral system sounds cool but I don't know how I'd be able to get people to keep signing up and investing money like that. I could maybe get that to happen once or twice, but not like every month.

12. seasnake

seasnake BamBam

Credit:
    Ideally games should allow everyone to grind to max levels and have access to the same equipment for free, but offer additional content that allows leveling up to be more content/adventure based with greater equipment drops. By that I mean, the free players should be able to get similar gear through player trading areas and through rare to very rare grinding based drops. This set up makes everyone happy, when the pay players want to play the free areas they can do so with their free content friends. As there are more people playing the game, their is greater word of mouth, a larger player base, and more of a chance that players will pay to access the paid content areas.

I like Wizard101 as it has a good pvp arena card system to which both pay and free players participate. As it can be at times difficult to find players to get pvp games up and going, every free player in the game is appreciated.

A lot of free players don't seem to even care about leveling up, I have many friends that just like to visit each others houses and have in game boy and girl friends, and so forth. My friends like to chase each other around the map, playing follow the leader and tag, though none of that is what the game is about, its just mindless fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.