1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

MapleStory good or bad?

Discussion in 'Best and Worst Games' started by Glazed, Sep 11, 2009.

Debate

1. Great

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Horrible

41 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, part of the reason I posted this topic, is that I wanted someone's opinion if I should try it again or if it's truly fun.

I know what's gonna happen. I'm gonna get tricked into playing it again because some things in the game looked cool, but then I'll just get bored and waste a few days on it because of the butt load of grind, tough quests in tough areas, button mashing gameplay, and worst of all, no PvP.

Now, I sometimes look for 2D and/or side-scrolling MMORPGs because I think they would have more fast-paced combat, but MS has proven time and time again that even a 2D side-scrolling MMORPG can have button mashing gameplay that can be as bland, shallow, and boring as point & click gameplay.

Well, even though the game has many players and is very popular and on MMO Hut got a score of "excellent", I also read alot of people on game forums saying that MapleStory sucks.

I have to say, all the grind and no PvP is boring, and I'm not a fan of the game's community.

So, should I check it out one more time? Well, after explaining how I feel about this game and then reading it to myself, I think not, if I dislike it this much.

Is it a good game? Lets debate.

2. tianhui

tianhui Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    If you're new to maplestory, like i was during its beta, the fun can last for a while. Unfortunately maplestory leaves a bad after-taste

3. tomistom

tomistom Banned

Credit:
    it seems funny . at least no so violence like wow . it is cartoon game

4. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Nothing to do but grind, then grind some more...

5. moonlight

moonlight Spiked Club

Credit:
    aside from being a cartoony thing xD - no. There will always be a new game to beat the old games. Its part of the system. Games need to be improved or it will be over. If you are looking for a 2d game then try Mini Fighter it a fighting 2d MMO - highly recommended for video game addicts like me. haha. There are also other 2d mmo that will get your attention and so you should partcipate in the discussion and share your ideas. xD here.

http://www.gameogre.com/forums/free-mmorpg/3312-best-free-2d-action-mmorpg.html

6. anymotion

anymotion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Like scarecrow said, at first it seems fun and exciting. Then you level up... and it gets more and more boring, and you grind for hours on end. One thing you can do for fun though, is go to the infamous "Drop games", where people take turns dropping items and see who's faster to get the other person's. I wouldn't suggest doing drop games unless you have speed, or you're really practiced. Watch out for hackers as well when doing that.

7. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    The grind is just boring, and it makes up 90% of the game. 'Nuff said. There's far better choices out there. There's even Maplestory clones that are better.

8. anymotion

anymotion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Yeah, too much grind :( Most games I play with too much grind get boring after a few days, but games that try too hard to be eventful with easy quests and crappy features get boring too. It's really hard to find good games :p

9. insanewolf

insanewolf BamBam

Credit:
    Grind, grind, then grind some more.

You can pay for stuff just to make for...flashier grinding I guess? =/

I use to play MS on weekends with my friends then we all got bored of it, especially when our server got invaded by noobs and we couldn't see what was going on on our screen and we all lagged insanely

10. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Sorry but it is not good.. I'm just wondering why they are on top 5 rank.... :confused:

11. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Horrible. I am just glad it won't be in GameOgre's MMO Showdown this year.:hat:

12. lovemehateme

lovemehateme Little Spike

Credit:
    hmm.. thanks for all the comment..
    i was also thinking of trying that game because the
    characters seems so cute and i really like cute stuffs.. ^_^

13. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Bad.... tsk tsk tsk..

14. Astruil

Astruil Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    well u can play it for a week , then u get bored lol , but its ok for me

15. SuperLightning!

SuperLightning! MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Wonder king is better. u can do combos and Dash,Dbl Jump, and PVP

16. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    I don't quite get what "grinding" is still..

Anyways, it's not great or horrible, just good.

Edit: Nvm, I found what it was on wikipedia, for people who don't know, it's:

Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive and/or non-entertaining gameplay in order to gain access to other features within the game.[1][2] The most common usage is in the context of MMORPGs, such as Final Fantasy XI, and console role-playing games, such as Dragon Quest, in which it is often necessary for a character to repeatedly kill AI-controlled monsters, using basically the same strategy over and over again, in order to advance their character level to be able to access newer content. Grinding can also appear in other games in which features can be unlocked.

17. trex999

trex999 BamBam

Credit:
    i play this since beta, 1st time play seem fun, but longer u play fast u get bored

18. ubc56950

ubc56950 MMORPGer

Credit:
    Gets boring

MS feels like it's gonna have potential when you first start, but then you find it impossible to level up or do anything productive. I personally don't like it

19. Ishida52134

Ishida52134 MMORPGer

Credit:
    If I had to choose a best 2d side scrolling mmorpg, I would have to choose maplestory (though I do not like it much personally). If you call maplestory a grind, isn't every mmorpg a grind where you "grind" to level, and then "grind" some more? Also, many people say that maplestory is boring, because they only played it for a little while, thus only judging it by first impression. The climax of the game starts around when you hit third job, that's when it gets a little more fun. Unlike other 2d side scrolling mmorpgs, you can party quest, party with people and train, or do quests. I see no point in pvp, since even if there was pvp, there would be no point to it. Pvp usually works best in 3d games such as fps games and/or strategy games. The reason it would not work as well in 2d mmorpgs is because most of those games only have the player press a button and then it just repeatedly attacks. So in pvp, I see no point in just clicking a button and then watch your avatar just hit the other player till one dies.

Furthermore, it is not hard to include pvp into the patches. Why do you think nexon wouldn't add pvp unless for some reasons?

20. nekocat

nekocat Little Spike

Credit:
    I agree, I love Wonderking too. :D

Basically because even when I was a noob, I got to meet a lot of nice players there. I just sit by a mission portal and high level characters usually stop by to help me if I'm having trouble.

And the designs are just so adorable! I love the bosses, the mounts, the equipment....everything is just so cute! <3

But of course, I could imagine some MS veterans really being attached to their characters. Specially if they invested a lot into it already.