1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Aion Review ( Based on Impressions of Videos and Reviews)

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by KaganZ, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaganZ

KaganZ Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Have you been playing WoW for a while? Are you getting sick of repeating the same old instances over an over? Well now theres Aion.

This is the exact ad that caught my attention when browsing a site. I had heard of Aion before but never really took interest in it. The ad looked amazing with a picture of a priest looking person flying. I decided to check it out. Even though I couldn't play the game, I kinda understood how the game was going to be from the reviews and videos and decided to make one myself.

So basically Aion is an MMORPG (duuh) produced by NCSoft. Some assumed that this game would be free because NCSoft had free games like Guild Wars before but unfortunately it wasn't. I was kinda let down because I was getting sick of paying for WoW, but as I read on I was really really impressed.

Yes you did have to pay for Aion but you pay for what you use. For some this may be a bad thing if you are a HARDCORE gamer but for me it is great.
    So the game is $15 a month and you get 205 hrs. You can waste this 205 hrs in 2 years or in a month it won't matter. For me as a casual gamer I couldn't play everyday and but I was really pissed of because my money was just wasting... and I couldn't play. This feature really impressed me.

There are 4 class in Aion, which all have 2 sub-classes so 8 classes all together. There are your general tank and heal classes and some different DPS classes. There are 2 factions and basically the map is literally split into the northern and southern hemispehere. For more detail go to aiononline.com

Aion also combines features from other games but 'buffs' them up. For example there are quests but these quests have deep story lines. For example in WoW the quests were pointless grind. In Aion there will be a lot of cut scenes so you feel as if you were somehow evolving through-out the game.

The other main feature is that you can have wings and basically fly, and glide. The way you fly looks amazing and combat in mid air is basically the cherry on top of this cake.

Some other things that appealed to me were the animations of how you fight. They are very over exaggerated WHICH IS GREAT. When you cast for example a fire ball its not just a red ball, but all this other crap happens in the background and it looks great.

There is also a feature where you can edit the appearance of an item without changing the stats. This is great because in WoW for example some epic high level items look like crap and you just wish you can make it look tuff and I believe this is a great feature.

There are a few different professions and you can master them all if you have the money. Such as Weaponsmith, Armoursmith, Alchemist, Cook, Etc..
    which I don't mind but I would prefer if you could master only a specific amount.

Aion also has some great PvP. At level 25 you get introduced into the Abyss which is the PvP Zone. As you kill others you get Abyss points which increases your rank or with AP you can buy some amazing gear.

So to wrap it I think Aion will be a great game, and will continue to get greater as more instances are introduced with patches. I Don't think it could be a WoW killer and personally don't think it can be compared to Wow because WoW has had 2 expansions and this game has only just been released. I'd like to hear your thoughts about Aion, leave a comment below :)

Kagan

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Good review:). Maybe you can give another after a few months of playing in the Review Directory?

Aion : Online Games Review Directory

GameOgre will be doing an Aion Review and it will probably be gracing our Top Ten:).

3. dieanna

dieanna MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    nice review!
    now can you tell us, is it a WoW-clone or not? :)

4. insanespoon

insanespoon DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    I've heard it is a WoW-clone beside the Abyss forced PVP towards the end.

5. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Aion is a WoW clone in many ways. However, Aion also happens to be the best WoW clone yet:D.

6. KaganZ

KaganZ Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I hate it how people say that one game is a clone of another.. A game has to take the good features of another game to succeed.. Aion has taken some features of WoW and added some features of their own to become a unique game.

7. insanespoon

insanespoon DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    I agree, but in some cases (aka Runes of Magic) it's basically a cut and paste.

8. dieanna

dieanna MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    well, you can't blame other people for that. since, WoW has started it all. :)
    sorry i haven't played Aion yet, so i don't know what other features of Aion that differs from WoW. :D

9. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    There is being a bad clone and a good clone. Some WoW clones are crappy. I don't think Aion falls into that category.

10. shrekish

shrekish BamBam

Credit:
    Totally agree with you, since I'm a novice to the game, it's easier for me to farm wow gold than grinding aion kinah to purchase good gears and powerful weapons.

11. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i am sure it will get easier to get kinah in aion after it is played more. it easier in wow cuz u know it better.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
  13. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
    I cast my vote and comments :)

14. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I did too:). I thought Aion would win but look how many votes Champions Online has rofl.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I noticed that Champions added about 40 votes rather quickly.

16. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Aion deserved to win:D.

17. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
    Yeah, Aion definitely deserved to win but everyone loves super heroes.

18. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.