1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft vs. Age of Conan

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, Oct 24, 2009.

Which MMORPG is better?

1. World of WarCraft

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Age of Conan

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Ogre Newling

Credit:
    In a way, it's unfair to compare the two. WoW seems geared to a younger audience, or one with a taste for anime. WoW can also be played on pretty much any computer. The graphics are simplistic and don't even tax an underpowered laptop. The combat system seems geared to beginners.
    AoC is geared to a more mature audience, or one with a taste for blood, fatalities where you rip your opponent's head off with your bare hands and your screen gets splattered in blood. Also if you are offended by realistic looking female characters being topless, this is not the game for you. You also need a fairly current, powerful computer to really handle the game and appreciate the stunning graphics. The combat system can be complex (depending on your character). It's not just point and click a button, you need to be aware of the buffs and debuffs at your disposal, the type of enemy you are fighting, and you have be able to time your combos. AoC is definitely more challenging.
    The picture posted in this thread is a joke, it looks nothing like what you will see in AoC.

If you have a decent computer and are up for a challenge, and graphics that will blow your mind, do yourself a favor and download the free trial of AoC. If you have your Dragonball Z costume all ready for Halloween, you may want to stay with WoW though.

2. Gubbahey

Gubbahey Ogre Newling

Credit:
    AOC hands down .. Lots of great things have happened and most the bugs r gone... if you all recall when wow was launched it was bugged for the first couple of years. AOC has great graphic are waaaayyy better then poor cartoony nonsense that wow has i gave it a retry about 1 year ago could only handle the rainbow twinkle world of wow for a week befor e the Delete button was pushed , and with the new content and the expansion coming out population has been increasing steadly. Wow is major fail compared to Aoc. Wow is for young and aoc is for the mature period.

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    WoW aimed at a younger audiences? I thought half its population is adult gamers with no life lol

Still think it's the better game though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  4. Pug1

Pug1 Brute

Credit:
    Why is WoW better? Why? Just saying it is better does not make it so. Saying WoW is more popular is not good enough either.

Age of Conan has a more mature world and more action oriented combat. It only gets better after level 20 and bugs have been fixed. The devs are updating the game regular.

Despite the WoW fanboys, Age of Conan can win. Apparently you also have to give it a review score *Vote Age of Conan : Online Games Review Directory

5. Moratorga

Moratorga Ogre Newling

Credit:
    WoW is geared kids its safe a fun for them, I wont knock a kids game. BUt as far as which is better for youngsters WoW is deffently better like I said safe not as violent not bloo no nudity. It is a nice little boys and girls game.

Now for Adults, Age Of Conan hands down, it is the best with gameplay, brutality, and down right savage. There is no MMORPG out there like it, and for those whom said I play for 20 lvls and then got boring, I call bullshit on that. I've been with it since the beinging and I even play WoW the one that bored me to tears was WoW. But perhaps because I am not a kid. The Graphic r hands dwn the best, the gameplay hands down the best, Storylines and quest hands down the best, just everything about AoC is hands done the best. I Have even seen WoW begin to copy Conan lore and employ it in there own storys and quests. Hmmmm why because AoC is the best.

6. Grieferz

Grieferz BamBam

Credit:
    System was revamped and is more smooth. There are still balance issues since classes are more balanced for PvE than PvP. AoC PvP is a big learning curve that many regular MMO PvP'ers may find daunting. Also I recommend new Players to go to PvE servers to get the feel of the game. PvP servers are harsh :eek: WoW caters to the masses and is a much easier PvP environment which most can handle.

Also game only good until 20 is laughable. Most bash AoC and never played it. It is not perfect but if you are looking for a more realistic PvP then AoC is worth a try. AoC does have to improve its perception since launch was a mess but it is a much better game for new players and now it needs more end game content for old vets. 2 bad points on AoC are siege issues and lacking end game content ( more content added and even more to come soon but not enough currently).

AoC combat is #1 in MMOs.

7. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Based on game worlds, I prefer Age of Conan. Based on combat, I prefer Age of Conan. Hell, based the community I even prefer Age of Conan.

Based on nearly everything else including the PvP system, I prefer World of WarCraft. Although not perfect, WoW does more things right than any other MMO I know. That is how it retains the millions of players it has.

8. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Have you even played WoW? It starts out with fun quests, and keeps them going for most of the game, well, I say most, I mean a lot of it. And then the endgame is REALLY fun. Age of Conan can't match WoW in terms of fun at least. And no, I'm not a fanboy, because I don't play either games anymore. And yes, you are meant to give it a review score, this forum score is only half of the total scores at the end.

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Hmm, Age of Conan is now leading, though WoW had a HUGE lead at the beginning... A nice comeback, how long til this one ends Ogreman?

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    World of WarCraft still has the lead in reviews scores, although Age of Conan has more reviews now:

World of WarCraft = 7
    Age of Conan = 6.75

This match will end at 12:01 AM Central on October 31.

Send me a PM if anybody wants a better screenshot for either game.

11. Joker

Credit:
    I have played Age of Conan past lev 20. It was ok, but nothing special. PvP was downright stupid and unbalanced, but to be fair that was a long time ago. I think WoW is better now while Age of Conan steadily improves. I doubt it will ever catch WoW as far as being a complete MMORPG.

12. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    I see two possibility's, one, someone has got the entire AoC community to come and vote, or their is one person repeatedly making accounts...

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    They are different people. Somebody linked this thread to an Age of Conan forum and that is allowed.

I must admit that the quality of reviews and explanations for Age of Conan have beaten the World of WarCraft side so far. However, Age of Conan is still slightly trailing in overall review scores.

14. ScareCrow

Credit:
    Two can play at the forum linking game :)

15. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Oh well, I don't mind if either wins, I don't even play them, though World of Warcraft seems the better game to me at this current moment. I don't like how so many people are saying that Age of Conan WILL be better than WoW in the future. That may well happen, but it's irrelevant right now.

16. Joker

Credit:
    Both are cool to me. It just depends on what you feel like. The level 20 and PvP broken claims are no longer true. Because of that I vote for AoC.

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    World of WarCraft still leads review scores 7.2 to 7.11.

18. mekquake

mekquake Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Age of Conan being better than WOW at some future date, Age of Conan was better than WOW a long time ago. WOW is a mushroom MMO with its player base unwilling to turn the light on and seeing how outdated there game is.

19. ScareCrow

Credit:
    You can't complain that people are "unwilling to turn on the light."

Age of Conan was outdated before launch, as funcom didn't seem to learn from anarchy online. Instead this outdated company made the same mistake twice. If you really need me to say what the two games did awfully i've lost all faith in mankind.

Age of Conan missed it's chance. It had all the hype and it failed with the launch. The games level of popularity is not the fault of WoW, it is the fault of the developers for creating a sub-par game. You can say it's got better all you want, but the reality is after peoples first experience with the game, why should they go back?

And WoW is not outdated until something surpasses it, and no game despite the hype, has come close.

20. mekquake

mekquake Ogre Newling

Credit:
    To say WOW is an outdated is an understatement, they say when Apollo 11 landed on the moon its on broad computer was as powerful as the early Donkey Kong game and thats about all the horse power your computer needs to play WOW.

I never played Anarchy online or played Age of Conan at it's start, but do remember playing WOW when it first came out. People forget how buggy WOW was for its first 2years.

WOW will be a hard game to bet in the numbers game and the is more to do with the low low spec needed to play and the time sink people have already put into the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.