1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Veteran Founds New studio, Zombie-based MMO Announced

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by stopcasting, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stopcasting

stopcasting Ogre Newling

Credit:
    According to A Talk with Jeff Strain, a Blizzard veteran who founded ArenaNet and was NCsoft's President of Product Development before leaving, he has founded a new studio called Undead Labs and is planning a brand new title about zombies. The zombie-based MMO will be a console MMORPG.

"You look at the name Undead Labs. There's a reason that is unique," he explains. "I'm very specifically setting out to make the best zombie MMO ever. This is what my company does and I wanted the aim of the company to reflect that and I wanted the people that work with me to share that passion for zombies and console games. Another part of it is that I don't intend to be a 300 or 400 person office. I think there are smarter ways to develop MMOs and my goal is to have a studio that can stay nice and small, but still really deliver content at that AAA level... the biggest thing for me -- when a team gets that big -- is the loss of culture, and the loss of identity. I would really like to build a studio that can maintain its spirit over time. It's going to take some very different thinking about production."

Anyhow, I confidently expects to the game.

2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    A zombie MMO? Hope it does well, there are currently no official good zombie MMOs out there, let alone on the consoles. (Dead Frontier is close, but it's still in beta)

3. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
  4. stopcasting

stopcasting Ogre Newling

Credit:
    yes, that kind of game is very exceptional.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    If it could be a full 3D, seamless, huge world, innovative, fun, zombie MMORPG, it would be quite cool. However, the thing about zombie games that makes them fun while should be in all of them, is there is always a sense of danger of zombies killing/infecting/mauling/eating you, and there is a sense of panic as the zombies close in on you...

6. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
    If there's a 1000 players, there should be 1,000,000 zombies or more. I always love the idea of trying to sneak around, hit and run on shops for vital supplies etc.

7. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Wow, 1000 zombies for each player? That's just making the game too hard lol

8. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
    Why not, think about the population of the Earth if they mostly got zombified! I mean how many zombies are harmed in the making of a Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 movie (game session) each time?

It's in the 1000's usually with my buddies, they have a habit of just sticking around and shooting everything they can though.

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I knew Left 4 Dead had tons of zombies coming at you all the time, but I didn't know it went into the thousands!

10. tredflight

tredflight Big Brute

Credit:
    Heh, well...it does when you rack up the kills over a whole campaign. There are lots and lots of Z's that come for you in L4D2 though, many more than in L4D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.