1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

#1 Free MMOFPS?

Discussion in 'MMOFPS and Online Shooters' started by GameOgreVideos, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    I've heard of the following:

Call of Duty
    Quake
    GunZ: The Duel
    Combat Arms
    Soldier Front
    CrossFire

Which one is the best in terms of no hacking, lag, and graphics? :)

2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Alliance of Valiant Arms, with no hacking, and good graphics. Lag depends on whether your computer can support the graphics and how good your connection is.

However, any major paid online FPS like Call of Duty would probably have the least lag, because they would have servers all over, though lag would still be there if you have a poor connection.

You should consider which FPS style you would like though. AVA and Bad Company 2 have slightly more realistic gameplay, where it takes a while to bring up the scope of a sniper rifle, where running is more "heavy" and it takes time to stop running and start shooting your weapon. Both of those games would be more tactical (In BC2, bullets drop over long distances!), and less run-and-gun. Call of Duty tends to allow more run-and-gun, because you can very quickly make the transition from running to shooting, and you will run FASTER.

BC2 and Call of Duty also make guns feel more powerful than most free FPSs. You'll be able to drop people quicker with machine guns in those two.

Quake is old, so dodging fire is possible in it, and mobility is key in any Quake game/clones.

Soldier Front is full of hackers and not that good in terms of graphics, GunZ can only be played if you can be bothered to learn how to use glitches in the game (which isn't a bad thing, because it has sort of turned into the main style of combat for it, but it takes at least a month to learn). Combat Arms is also full of hackers. Crossfire isn't as good as other games on graphics, but has solid gameplay, is free, and doesn't have nearly as many hackers as Combat Arms or Soldier Front do.

I recommend you do this:
    Think about whether you want to run-and-gun, or play tactically. If you want the former, then try out Crossfire (or borrow COD off a friend) for a bit. If you want the latter, try out AVA for a bit.

3. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Wow, very nice post! Thanks for the advice. When I get my new desktop PC, I'll try out AVA :)

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    It also really helps if you can play ANY multiplayer FPS with friends. If you have friends that have your game, then try to arrange times to play with them. It's a lot more fun than with strangers. Also, if you have a mike and don't mind showing your voice to others, then you should find a clan (when you get better at FPSs) and play matches with them. You'll be cooperating, so you'll win more often, and it feels good to play in a team.

5. VGM BigBang

VGM BigBang BamBam

Credit:
    Call of duty all the way.
    People who said other fps has never played a REAL fps.

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    There's no such thing as a REAL fps. All FPSs are real, or they wouldn't exist... would they?

And anyway, Call of Duty isn't the BEST FPS, it's just one of the really good ones. As an almost arcade-style FPS, it has a ton of depth in its multiplayer, and is very, very, well-built and fun.

7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    [​IMG]

end of story

8. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
  9. Vikeadyn

Vikeadyn Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    looks like Awesomedrako knows a thing or two about FPS's. He is 100% correct, I use to love FPS's but what turned me off to them where all the asshats doing anything they can to cheat through game content. So bad that shooter developers had to make a add on for just about every FPS called Punkbuster. Guess what? The Bastards still figured there way around Punkbuster to still cheat. So punkbuster became pointless.

Here are a few of my favorites FPS's:

Battlefield and all of there franchise including MODS for BF games
    Joint Opperations
    Medal of Honor and there Franchise, and Mods
    Halo and Franchise's
    I liked older Call Of Duty not to crazy about the newer flavor
    Hidden and Dangerous
    Fallout

Edit: As far as best FPS out there? Well..There is no such thing. "What a flaw of one FPS there will always be a better one to compensate that flaw."

****Franchise meaning every one made****

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
  10. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Four awesome FPS games

1. Quake Live
    2. Alliance of Valiant Arms
    3. Crossfire
    4. BC2 - not free

11. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Here's my list of top shooters... ever.

1) Quake II
    2) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    3) Halo: Combat Evolved
    4) Medal of Honor: Frontline
    5) Doom

12. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    AVA is looking like it is the best these days. Has anybody played Huxley yet?.

13. xiontawa

xiontawa Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I prefer AVA and Crossfire... I own MW2 but I have more fun in AVA... I was very disappointed by MW2 for a game I paid $60 for...but am having more fun with a FREE game... Do to the lack of features and the fact they are charging $3/map when they release map packs, they should've released the game for no more than $30...that is all that is worth IMO, and the maps are not worth $3/piece... MW2 is becoming a joke being a cash cow of Activision... Even IW wanted to price the map packs at $10, but Activision said $20...and they ended up meeting in the middle...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.