1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

1060 Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by JaredOzzy, Jul 10, 2016.

1. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hey guys, Im finally upgrading my PC after 7 years.

Im not going full out on a build but just a generally decent pc that can run things without problems. I see that the Nvidia GTX 1060 is releasing soon and i was wondering if it will be worth it buying this card? I originally was going for a Radeon 480, but i see they have power issues so im staying away.

What i was thinking of getting.

Mother Board:Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
    Processor:i5 6600k Processor
    Graphics Card:GTX 1060
    Ram:16GB

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It's looking pretty good, AMD always seem to be better on price but at this point in my opinion I think Nvidia offers more quality in it's software and drivers. 1060 is looking like it's right around a GTX 970 from last gen, which puts it in very good company as that's a very solid GPU. If you want something to run 1080p it should do absolutely fine. 4k should be OK, VR the 970 was minimum recommended and seems to work OK.

If you could somehow get to the 1070 I'd probably recommend that, especially if you wanna do a lot of 4k and VR. If your not into that and 1080p is the goal then 1060 should do great.

3. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    Im not really fussed about 4k and VR, if you have the money for 1070 and those high range GPU's im sure you have money for all the extra features such as 4K and VR, but im not that lucky ;)

But im just waiting for a couple days after release to see what everyone is saying then im gonna order it. It seems to be the best option for Price Vs Performance atm.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    Then you will be fine with a GTX 1060. I'm just saying if it's feasible then the GTX 1070 is a much better buy as it's literally the second best GPU on the market an is coming in at a price that blows everything out of the water. Is no better price for performance card on the market than the 1070, it beats all the current $600+ cards (minus the 1080 obviously) for under $400. However I know a lot of people can't afford that extra $100-150... I know I can't, just wanted you to be informed encase you could find it in the budget or wanted to save some more an get a much better card.

On the GTX 1060 front you may wanna look into GTX 970 too. Might be able to save a little bit and the performance difference should be minimal... in fact the 970 is currently ranked a tad higher but we'll seen once it's out. However assuming the 1060 doesn't have any big issues, then at the same price it's probably better idea just to get the newer one. For all intensive purposes the 1060 and 480 seem to be some of the best budget (as in normal people can buy) cards released yet.

5. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    Thanks for your help Aaddron!
    Here in South Africa we are getting smashed by the Exchange Rates, due to just having idiotic leadership and brexit is also not helping, so those $100-150 is a massive price diffirence, the prices from the imported Tech is really high aswell so im thinking of buying from amazon and importing to save me $100

6. Volnus

Volnus Developer New Ogre

Credit:
    The better question is when will there ever be a game that can possibly use these graphics cards. I have yet to see a game that can stress these cards even a little.

7. JaredOzzy

Credit:
    True, all the games now even at ultra graphics only compare with 4-7 fps difference which isn't worth the money of the card imo, ill rather play with 10 fps diffirence than cough out an extra $250 IMO

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    Heck even down to the GTX 960 your getting a card that will run lots of games at high to max 1080, 60fps. The top cards are definitely a bit overkill but that's more this new gen has been a pretty nice leap. It's about future proofing more than anything. They are moving past 1080p 60FPS an into 4k and VR which is basically double so it becomes easy to see why they would need all that power.

That said as games get more and more complex we'll start needing that even for "normal 1080p" games. Heck even now Witcher 3 on a 1070 can start getting near that 60FPS mark maxed... some of that is poor optimization but they are doing quite a bit too.

It's crazy we are too the point where we need cards and processors of these levels to run "computer games".

The difference between the budget cards and the top cards is a lot more than 10FPS. People (well most people) aren't stupid, they wouldn't pay $250 more for 10FPS. The catch for normal people and imo the better argument for getting a budget card over a top end is 1080p 60FPS.

970, 1060, 480 etc... they'll all run pretty much everything (Witcher 3 for one dips below) on the market at 1080p 60FPS, lots of games (like Overwatch) will even get better than 60. So if that is the goal then it becomes an issue of does it matter the better cards do more? For a lot of people probably not... they are happy with just being able to max or near max games and not being a slideshow haha, an it should be that way for at least a couple years save for the odd stupidly unoptimized mess coming out *cough* like Ark now *cough*.

9. 1060 should be fine as long as you're not going for very intensive games that require a good graphics card. A bunch of games should be able to run on that kind of graphics card.