1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

A Way Out - New Splitscreen Focused Game

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by Aaddron, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:

Hi everyone!

Announcing A Way Out at EA PLAY is incredibly exciting for everyone at Hazelight, and I’m thrilled to share a bit more about the game and the team with you!

I’ve always been passionate about creating and telling stories. I’ve been able to share my stories through my work as a movie director, but I’ve always loved and played videogames. One day, a friend involved in game development education asked me if I was interested in spending a few weeks making a game with a couple of students. I got super excited and came up with the idea for Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons on the very same day.

After six weeks of hard work we had a playable demo for Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons. I presented it to many different developers in the games community, until finally Starbreeze decided to help me out. There were many hard lessons to learn about game development. I had already made six feature films by this point, but they were all a walk in the park compared to creating a game. Movies are a great way of telling a story, but the potential of interactive storytelling through games is even greater.

After the release of Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons, the team and I were overwhelmed by the positive reception from industry critics, and proud to see the enthusiasm of the players as well. Knowing I wanted to keep making games, I decided to form Hazelight Studios with the core team behind Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons. When we first started out we were around 12 people, but building on our ambitions for this new game, the team is now 40 people strong.

Hazelight is all about making games that focus on story-driven experiences backed by innovative gameplay. We truly believe that there are ways to play and experience games that have yet to be discovered, and that’s what drives the team here at Hazelight.

Our first game, A Way Out, came about when a friend and I tried to find a co-op game that wasn’t just a drop-in/drop-out experience. I wanted to play a co-op game with a strong story, where the characters had unique personalities and goals. And that’s exactly what A Way Out is.

This game is co-op only—you can play it online, but to get the full experience and feel, we want you to play it together with a friend on your couch. A Way Out is going to cover a lot of gameplay ground, from action to exploration, from driving to puzzle-solving, and much more.

We’re also looking into how we innovate as we tell the story of these two characters. Players will experience the game’s story as it seamlessly shifts from a full-screen experience into cinematic split-screen formats. Basically, one player can be in a cutscene while the other player has full control.

Working with EA’s Originals program has been great. We have the creative freedom and trust from EA to deliver a game we truly believe in.

I can’t wait for you to play A Way Out when it releases in early 2018. I guarantee you an emotional journey unlike anything you’ve played before.

Josef Fares
    Writer/Director

Learn more about A Way Out at the official website: A Way Out - An Official EA Site

Source

2. ezkills

ezkills Big Bad Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    dang i love story driven games this seems cool

Thanos likes this.
  3. Zerea

Zerea Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    This looks intense! I really do like these games which are based on Prisons, hopefully it'll come out. Totally worth buying!

ezkills likes this.
  4. Koronos

Koronos Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Duuudee.. thanks for posting this definitely buying it.

ezkills and Thanos like this.
  5. Thanos

Thanos DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    A way out damn co-op FTW. Graphics look amazing.

Different scenarios make the game more exciting for new unforseen outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    Zerea and ezkills like this.
  6. Zerea

Zerea Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Oh man that's a great idea! Can't say I'm not excited myself :p

Thanos likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yea guys it looks really good and if your at all interested in splitscreen games... definitely try to pick this one up! If it does well hopefully it will drive other developers to bring back splitscreen gaming!

Bola_bola likes this.
  8. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    I had watched the Trailer of this game its very awesome!

9. Bola_bola

Bola_bola Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    the first splitscreen game i've played is warhammer 4k with my cousins XD hopefully these kinds of games could give a grand comeback in the industry.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    Think it was Halo for me. Was a really great experience back in the day. My brother and I played through most of them again leading up the Halo 5. Really sucks Halo 5 wasn't splitscreen, would've been nice. Thankfully sounds like they heard the player base and Halo 6 will have splitscreen.

Bola_bola likes this.
  11. Bola_bola

Credit:
    hahahaha do you use cardboards in separating your views? XD i did that on team deathmatch with my cousins XD

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Nah, we didn't play much deathmatch. Our skill level difference is quite large so it wasn't fun for anyone. Just campaign splitscreen. Screen peeking was legit with friends tho xD

Bola_bola likes this.
  13. Bola_bola

Credit:
    hahahaha talk about screen peaking XD they even blindfolded me cuz they thought i got skills XD . in reality, I use quick peek and it was effective XD

Aaddron likes this.
  14. P0WER

P0WER Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    cant beat a good co op game

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yea, it's sad it's kinda a lost genre... at least in terms of local co-op.

16. KingRJhay

KingRJhay Brute New Ogre

Credit:
  17. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    Finally a split-screen video game man!