1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Animes and Mangas

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Forum' started by Wen, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Wen

Wen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    What does everyone think about the more alternative forms of animes or mangas? I was firstly exposed to these genres through Black Jack, an alternative series about a doctor that reflects many societal issues.

2. altot

altot Clubbed for Copying Reviews

Credit:
    inb4 it's "anime" in plural as well, animes is incorrect and just sounds so unnatural

Anyway, I've been into anime (actively) for good 6 years now and this is the first time I've came across this term "alternative". Please elaborate this term.

But since you liked BJ I'd highly recommend you watch some Monster if you haven't.

3. Wen

Wen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Fair enough, I see where you are getting at.

'Alternative' in the sense that it is based off a non-mainstream concept or topic, or its target market is based upon that of a non-mainstream audience.

4. altot

altot Clubbed for Copying Reviews

Credit:
    Well then my fav. would probably have to be Ergo Proxy and Elfen Lied.. and Mushishi to top it off as my fav. anime in general. Texhnolyze was really good but I could never finish it for some reason most due to my laziness, been postponing it for a while now. These are some pretty "unique" titles I guess.

Personally I think they can be pretty rough on a company's budget mostly because in most scenarios these are targeted towards certain audience. They can either impact you greatly or be just another underrated title that never made any sorta good profit.

5. IgnjatSRB

IgnjatSRB MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Maybe Death Note is this kind of anime if i got right what did you mean.

ezkills likes this.
  6. Wen

Wen Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Probably the most 'popular' non-mainstream manga out there, and one of the best.

ezkills likes this.
  7. ezkills

ezkills Big Bad Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    death note is pretty mainstream hahaha everyone knows about it. but the plot is fantastic