1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Anime style or more realistic graphics?

Discussion in 'Free Online RPG' started by Maelious, May 7, 2018.

1. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Which do you prefer in your RPG?

I tend towards anime style ones I think ...

2. Deku1

Deku1 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    i think i prefer more realistic graphics.......

3. Maelious

Credit:
    What if the anime style was from Boku no Hero Acedemia? :)

4. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I personally prefer a more realistic style. I've noticed in games, people tend to go for the crazy hairstyles, mainly the things they know would look ridiculous irl unless you were very confident in yourself. That makes sense though, if the world were less judgemental, I'd probably wear a crazy hairstyle from time to time.

5. Maelious

Credit:
    Aww ... you guys prefer more realistic graphics XD

6. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    More realistic Graphics for sure

7. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    No preference, as long as the gameplay is what captivates the player. And sometimes the graphics isn't between anime-style or realistic, because you could have 8-bit graphics, cel-shaded graphics, or any other kind of graphics, and I think it also depends on whether the game is 2D or 3D. In a lot of 2D games, you won't fight a lot of realism, and that's generally fine with me.

8. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Anime style, because too much realism in game may distort your view in reality. Imagine in future when games have realism that surpass the reality itself, you may want to live in virtual life rather than your real life.

9. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I don't think realism in RPGs intend to distort reality; the main goal is to create appeal to some audiences. And in some cases, realism in RPGs aren't exactly like reality; they tend to exaggerate things that you wouldn't see in reality just to add emphasis (e.g. explosions in a video game are emphasized for dramatic effect, while they aren't as exciting in reality). The whole goal is never to distort the actual reality; I think VR headsets would mess your senses up even more.

And you could technically say that realism in video games are "surreal"; it's more like a recreation of reality for entertainment purposes, not for a true imitation. You could think of it like watching a movie full of dramatic effects; the things that happen in movies will never fit reality. Likewise in video games, a character holding a 100 pound sword with one-hand doesn't match up with reality, because games are just creations; their goal is not to imitate reality, but to create a surreal appeal.