1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

AQ3D Vote Kick System in dungeons, is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Heromanguy12, Apr 24, 2020.

A vote kick system for dungeons?

1. Yes, we need it!

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, we don't need it!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    So there is an upcoming feature that is being worked on and it's a vote kick system for dungeons. What is your opinion on this matter? Do you think it is a good feature to add to AQ3D or is it a bad idea to implement it? Explain why it would be a good idea or a bad idea.

2. Terrible idea that will get abused heavily, and it wouldn't work out the way intended anyway. There's really no way to make the feature favorable.

Let's say that there's a player misbehaving... you have to get a majority vote, and not everyone's going to votekick. Some players will remain more focused on the game than their surroundings. And it's especially difficult, if you have, maybe a 10-room dungeon, which doesn't really exist in the game.

The next issue is there's always someone that will try to convince the entire team to kick someone out, even if there's no proper reason. Sometimes the innocent people get kicked out just because of one person's whining to get you kicked out.

Also people might votekick you because of something completely different, maybe a certain contention they have about you, like a past situation, and they'll votekick you for that instead of actual wrongdoing inside of the dungeon. This is a problem for people with a bad track history of misdeeds that ultimately want to play the game.

And let's say that you're in a dungeon full of trolls, and you're the good guy that's telling them to stop. They'll just kick you out of the dungeon.

Also, in a 2-room dungeon, because you have 50% of the votekick, you can troll someone. Maybe you and someone work together in a dungeon, and then suddenly you troll them by vote kicking them near a boss' last sliver of health.

Overall, it's a bad idea. This idea shouldn't even be debatable, because its cons outweigh its pros.

Corom likes this.
  3. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    The possibility of this system being abused does seem to be high. This will likely lead to players avoiding public dungeons because the chance to get put to a party with a bad apple.

4. Lema Ris

Lema Ris MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    we urgently need this system, it would be a great job to throw opportunistic people out of the room with this system that imitate afk in some dungeons and come to life immediately when we go to the boss room: D

5. It would have to be a moderated system for it to work as intended, not some player-voted system that's likely to be abused by people's own ego. And to be honest, I don't even think a dungeon kick system, in any shape or form, is really needed anyway. First off, it would be too time consuming for moderators to inspect a dungeon that perhaps dozens of players are notifying every moment. Secondly, if someone's misbehaving in a dungeon, you can just report them anyway, and the moderators could just check the chat log for any misbehavior. There really is no need to create a complex feature that'll end up flopping.

6. Lema Ris

Lema Ris MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I can explain the necessity of this system to you in a few sentences
    You are in the same dungeon as a player who has just started the game and slows you down, or you are playing with someone who pretends to be afkid until you come to boss battle, won't they bother you? It disturbs me a lot, I think it is a wonderful thing to come this system players who are thrown undeserved may report other players

7. Those are absurd reasons to kick someone out of a dungeon, and it's exactly why a vote kick system shouldn't be implemented at all, because it'll be abused.

If a new player is starting out a game and slows you down, you don't just kick them out of a dungeon. You help them ameliorate their understanding of the game and remain cooperative. Otherwise, why should someone even be motivated to play AQ3D in the first place, if higher leveled players will simply act snobby? It doesn't give the chance for the game to grow, if the players who abuse the system are players that don't want to deal with new players.

Secondly, private dungeons exist for an exact reason. If there are a handful of players trolling other players in dungeons, just create a party with players you trust and do a private dungeon. A player-vote kick system isn't going to solve trolling, because trolls themselves can take advantage of the player-vote kick system, not just you. For instance, a troll could just create a bunch of alt accounts and have them all camp inside of a dungeon, and when an innocent player joins the dungeon, the troll could just vote-kick them out so then any innocent player that joins a dungeon can't even play through the dungeon at all.

A player-vote kick system is just a recipe for disaster. In the majority of cases, it never works out as intended.

8. Heartt

Heartt Brute

Credit:
    That's Sounds Great !!

9. Corom

Corom Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    I was going to chime in but I think Snowy has it all covered. Bad idea.
    I have been kicked from a dungeon for no reason and I've seen other people bring up a vote to kick someone who is doing nothing wrong. I don't see how this has done any good.
    And it is only in dungeons. The other day when someone was killing chests in Dreadfool, nothing could be done about it because it is an open level, not a dungeon.

10. Something I thought of, which is quite devious, is, couldn't you just kick a player as soon as they finish helping you? Like here's a scenario that I've been thinking of for a while:

Suppose you're playing through one of the maps in the Red Betty Excursions (there's no way to play the map privately, and you're always forced to party up with other player). What if you get the player to do most of the work (kill monsters and help you kill the boss) and then you kick the player out of the map, before they even have a chance to pick up the boss loot?

I don't think the game has any anti-griefing system. Like it would make sense, if ignoring players prevents them from being in the same map/dungeon that you're in, so that you're never in a party with players that you ignore, but does the game even have that feature?

11. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like the feature but I feel some people abuse the feature as well which gives the feature a bad name.

12. I think it's ridiculous that there even needs to be a vote kick system. If a player goes AFK in a dungeon, just have the dungeon auto-kick the player. If someone is griefing in a dungeon, just let players report the player and find another dungeon. If players won't cooperate, well then just find another dungeon or join a party dungeon.

So far from playing in dungeons, I haven't really seen many players use vote kick (for good or bad intentions), though I have maybe one player abuse the system to kick out players who just joined a dungeon. Although the game doesn't have a huge population right now, it would be problematic if more players did find ways to abuse vote kick (like if a player logs into multiple characters to vote out other players). At some point, that'll have to be addressed.

13. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I have to strongly disagree as no matter what game you play it being a big game like say Wow or small game like aq3d there is always gonna be a little prick that will do something inside the dungeon which In aq3d they would literally afk till the end boss in tengu which is why it was implemented for people to be able to kick toxic players that don’t know what team work is, but you are also right it is ridiculous that we shouldn’t need said feature because we all should play the game for the same reason an that’s to have fun with friends or meeting new people in public dungeons.

14. Even if you disagree, you'd have to agree that there could be some improvements to be made for the dungeon kick system, like having that feature available only when there's a certain number of players in a dungeon (like 6 or more players), but also a tabulation system to check how often a player's tried to kick someone and determine whether to discard the vote (like if a player's attempted to kick the same person in every dungeon they play, their vote kick probably shouldn't even count since they're most likely just abusing the system). The system is just prone to abuse when you have too few people (2-3 players) "democratizing" the system, and it's really only reliable when there are more players, because there's just better impartiality.

Like AQ3D is just a game, but there are definitely snobbish and arrogant individuals; it's not uncommon to get paired with one or two of them in a dungeon, and it just creates a bad experience when they backseat for you and tell you how to play the game or force you to leave. Like for instance, you could get kicked by a player for something as simple as "using the wrong class". Maybe you haven't found dungeons to be as problematic as I have, but I still think there could be changes to how dungeon kick works.

But the other problem is the "bandwagon" nature of kicking players out of a dungeon, or trying to drag your envy of a player towards other players, so that those other players feel the same hatred as you do to vote-kick someone out. For instance, you could be in a dungeon, and some player says something like "please kick x out", sometimes without even addressing why. I find this problematic, because oftentimes the aggressor plays into the naïvety of other players just to ruin your day, and this same issue could be resolved if vote kick only worked for more players (6 or more) rather than a few since it's oftentimes harder to convince more people to kick someone out.

Rizlaftw likes this.
  15. KingMyth

KingMyth Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    The idea is very good, but unfortunately many people would use the feature to harm other players!