1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Behind The Scenes - October

Discussion in 'RuneScape' started by Drama, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    I often think back to boss monsters I fought when I was merely a low level adventurer with nothing but full mith and a few hundred herring to my name. Back then, killing Delrith or going toe to claw with the evil chicken was a major achievement, but it would be awesome to be able to fight them again with all my shiny stats and equipment...just to show them who’s boss now!

Imagine a sentient tower that can trawl through your memories, allowing you to relive those fights in a new, purpose-built combat arena. Imagine a tower that can give you challenges based around those unlocked bosses, giving you arcade-style bonuses and weaknesses as you progress to the top. Imagine a tower that can reward you for completing those challenges with unique gear, allowing you to show off your progress and flaunt your success in the battered faces of your enemies.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...for at the very end of this month we will be bringing members... the DOMINION TOWER!

DOMINION TOWER

Fight over fifty different boss monsters; engage with multiple fight modes to test your skills from endurance mode to climber mode; cope with over 20 new combat handicaps; battle in 8 brand new speciality battles, using dominion weapons and bombs. Once you’re done, chuck down a marker with your achievements, see how you’ve competed on the high score table and mock your rivals as they fail.

As well as generous Combat XP and new consumable items to use on the surface world, you’ll also have the chance to unlock the dominion glove sets, designed to offer new “unarmed†combat options and offer some of the best stats available for the glove slot. Plus you’ll get to play with the deadly dreadnip; a new ally to help you in your hardest and toughest fights yet to come. We are even intending to run a special sneak preview session at RuneFest this month to allow those attending to have full access to the tower on special test servers, and even invite the players there to design their own, brand-new dominion boss!

Chat Changes and Camera Controls

We’re adding new ways for you to control your camera movement by adding a new mouse cam. Sadly, this isn’t a small rodent with CCTV strapped to its back (which would be cool too), but it does allow you to use your middle mouse button to change your camera angle - which means you can navigate the game world using solely the mouse. To use the feature, you’ll simply need to hold the middle mouse wheel to pitch and rotate the view. Our chat features are going through a massive overhaul too, and will soon be able to offer features like auto wrapping text and chat “modesâ€, allowing you to change your default typing mode from “public†to “Clanâ€, “Friendsâ€, “guest clan†etc. This is designed to make chatting in different modes even easier but will still allow users to stick to their old “//†methods if they prefer.

It’s worthwhile noting that all of these camera and chat changes affect both the free and members versions of the game, and were based on suggestions from our players via our forums and fan sites, as well as those in game.

The Pit (Agility Distraction and Diversion)

If you find yourself training your Agility skill towards the end of this month you might find yourself bumping into a mysterious talent scout who’s interested in finding some candidates for “The Pitâ€, RuneScape’s newest and least forgiving D&D. It’s somewhere you’ll only be able to reach via an invite, though, as you take on one of 6 different madcap events designed to give you a well-deserved break from your favourite Agility spot and test your luck and skills. Those that do well will earn generous XP rewards, unique cosmetic gear and the respect of the crazy characters at the course. Are you good enough to catch the talent scout’s eye? Start running laps and find out if you’ve got what it takes!

Halloween 2011 – Deathcon 2

Where better to hold a Halloween event than the citadel of Death himself? Grim is inviting all comers to his own Halloween-themed castle to help out with Deathcon 2, a 2 week convention to celebrate all things spooky. Meet new characters and old favourites as you engage with perplexing puzzles and catastrophic conundrums, earning you new cosmetic items, a new emote and a chance for non-clan members to see what citadels are all about. There’s even an exceptionally cool hourglass item available only to RuneScape members for this Halloween, so be sure you’re subscribed during Deathcon 2 if you want to get your hands on it. There’s plenty to see and do as you help Death and his horsemen get everything ready for the evil event of the year.

With both RuneFest and Deathcon 2 happening at the same time, I wonder if Grim has anything special in store for us. Don’t forget....nothing is certain apart from Death itself.

Have fiendish fun!

Mod Mark
    Lead Designer

The dominion tower was long awaited for this year just like ROTM. This will be the best update of the month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.