1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Boban Marjanovic Basketball

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Aaddron, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    So I'm a huge basketball fan, my favorite team is the Detroit Pistons. They just signed Boban Marjanovic. I do know we have a few basketball fans here, am wondering if any of you can tell me more about him. He's played a lot of overseas... we don't really get that here in the states so know very little about him. He's from Serbia too so I'd assume at least one of you know something haha.

Thanks all

2. GioLegenda

GioLegenda Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
  3. CarolusRex

CarolusRex MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I also love NBA but I didn't get chance to watch a lot last season cuz of school, I'm fan of Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves. I know Boban played for San Antonio Spurs if I'm right. I think he is rly good player, he has some record in rebounds. :)

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    I can read stats all day, that doesn't tell you much about a player though. Nothing beats accounts from people who have watched him play.

He played a limited role for the Spurs last season, he'll be the 3rd string Center on the Pistons as well so probably wont get to play a ton unless someone gets injured or he can beat out the other backup. I didn't get to watch him much in the NBA, his overseas resume is much bigger but we don't get that here in the states.

He seems like a pretty talented guy for being 7'3'', rare they have that kind of touch when they are that big. He's a bit slow though (to be expected) which could be a problem. Not sure how he's been with injuries either as it seem the really big ones struggle with that. Overall I'm pretty excited to see what he can do. Hoping he can make a great backup behind Drummond who is an all-star center.

5. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    You can call him The Rebounding Machine.

6. CarolusRex

Credit:
    I'm from Croatia but I don't watch basketball in my region, only thing I know about this topic is that Boban played for Crvena Zvezda.

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    That one's already taken by Drummond, dude is a beast on the glass. I bet he's very good though, in fact in his limited minutes, if you scale it to full minutes he was one of the best in the league at rebounding right along with Drummond.

8. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    He is really great player :) really great ,he was one of the best in Serbia national team ,till he declined to play on Olympics because of contract in NBA…

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    Something is going on with that, he's said a couple times over here that he does wish to play in the Olympics. Our news has reported Boban agreed to play but then backed out pending getting his NBA contract worked out. Once the contract was signed Boban asked to rejoin the team but the Serbian coach was pissed he backed out in the first place and told him he wouldn't be joining them in Rio.

10. trojan96

trojan96 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    boban didnt go in rio ffs and now serbia will go out :(

11. Aaddron

Credit:
    He wanted too. Sucks he didn't get too.

trojan96 likes this.
  12. CarolusRex

Credit:
    Coach didn't want to invite the guy that said he won't go in the first place.

djolebelevode likes this.
  13. djolebelevode

Credit:
    Тhis.
    Our coach isn't pissed,but rules are for everyone

14. Grawl

Grawl MLG King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    We call him Bobi here,logically because his name is Boban lol.

15. Aaddron

Credit:
    He did want to go but backed out to get his contract sorted out first. He's repeatedly said he really really wants to play for the team in Rio. I stand by the coach was pissed tho. Direct quote from the coach himself:

"I am angry with Boban Marjanovic. Over 20 days ago he told me he'd be playing for the national team this summer, and yesterday he said he wouldn't. I am speechless."

^ Sounds pretty pissed. He's upset Boban backed out to get his contract in order first, honestly the rest of the quotes sound like he's mad Boban put his NBA career ahead of Serbia. He sounds very proud of his country and it's very upsetting to him that Boban and at least one other player have put their NBA aspirations ahead of Serbian Basketball.

I do not blame the coach at all for not letting him back on the team or feeling the way he does, your either in or out... can't just decide whenever you feel like it. They probably have deadlines for that kind of stuff too. It's their job to be ready, they can't wait on a maybe... so they moved on.

Sucks all around. Would of been nice to see him play and I'm sure it would of been good for Serbia too who just nearly beat Team USA.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  16. CarolusRex

Credit:
    Team USA didn't came with dream team but they will clean sweap everyone.

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    They definitely should still win but it's possible they don't. This years team especially is not built well at all, they don't mesh together well. Most are all similar types of players.

18. djolebelevode

Credit:
    Rule is the player which wants to go to big tournament ,has to play in pre-tournament preparations (like many little tournaments),and Bobi refused that because of money,he chose money so go for money then :)

Media had to inflame,Djordjevic wasn't pissed off,I can send you Serbian article ,simply journalist want to make problems where there none ,Djordjevic even said that Bobi will be able to participate in coming tournaments ,if he comes to preparations tournaments ,ofc they have deadline ,he can't say one day before olympics that he wants to play.

Serbia will be Serbia even without Bobi,we almost won USA without Bobi and Nemanja Bjelica(injured)

Money or country,choice was made

19. Aaddron

Credit:
    I showed you the quote. Our media didn't twist nothing, their is no reason too, no one here knows who Boban or Djordjevic or even Serbia is. They aren't trying to make him look bad either, just reporting he was upset about it, which most basketball fans, including me, agree he has every right to be.

The quotes includes "I am angry" "speechless", in English this would fit the definition of his was pissed about it. I think you are miss understanding, all that means in English is he was angry about it... which he obviously is. It does not mean banned for life. Never forgive him etc etc. Just mad about it.

Yea and Boban's size may have made a difference. We will never know for sure. Team USA is a dysfunctional mess this time around, if they ever figure out how to play as a team they will win by 50 easy. If that doesn't happen any team in the knockout rounds has a chance to beat them.

It's not that black and white. The NBA is a very hard league to get into, one can't simply walk away from free agency to play in the Olympics an then expect a spot when they get back. NBA just doesn't work like that. He's also gotta be very careful as very large man who is getting older. Players his size usually start to break down as they get older, it's just too much on them an they start breaking things. This may well be his last shot at a "big contract" so I can't blame him at all for taking it. It's a shame his contract had to expire this year instead of say last year because then this would not of been a problem. It just all happened to conflict.

I'm all for supporting your nation in the Olympics an I hate when players don't. I can't blame the guy for getting his "set for life" contract in order even tho even if it cost him this Olympics. He does it again down the road then screw him but in terms of hey now I never have to worry about money ever again... he felt it was worth the trade for this one. It sucks he had to make that trade in the first place but again like I was saying it all just happened to conflict, it's an impossible choice. If he could have done both he would have. I'm sure if he holds up he will rejoin them in the future.

I can guarantee he would not of gotten anywhere near as much if he left free agency for the Olympics, the money would of been spent... heck he might not of even had a spot on a team even. NBA is that cutthroat.

TL;DR He made a choice, not everyone will agree with that and that's fine.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  20. djolebelevode

Credit:
    It is okay I don't blame Bobi,I would do same in his situation ,but I know what Djordjevic said in interview,he was upset but not angry ,simply he said "Bobi won't go to Olympics and don't ask me about him anymore",I didn't say American media lied,I spoke about our media ,they make problems there where none :)
    And ofc USA is big favorite ,but as you said ,this isn't competition of individuals,it is TEAM competition ,and I can guarantee that Serbia has best team spirit and teamwork,they are like family ,and really courage ,as our nation has been for ages ,we basically won first and Second World War,even our opponent was a lot stronger ,that spirit is in our genes,and we will make huge things from nothing :)

Anyway I am glad that I was able to speak about this with you:)
    Good luck anyway