1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Chess

Discussion in 'Board Games' started by Crownknight, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I just joined a chess club 2 days ago. Do you guys have any great chess experiences?

2. Zalb33

Zalb33 DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior
    1. TSM

Credit:
    To be honest kinda but not that good at it, its important for you to think like 2 turns in the future and what situations can happen and based on that to find the best move for that turn , you gotta think is it good or bad and why is it like so . Its complicated but you will get into it .

3. Crownknight

Credit:
    I have everything in mind except the strategy. I really need a chess set one day.

Zalb33 likes this.
  4. Crownknight

Credit:
    *one day turned out to be today!!! :D

5. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    During elem days, a classmate of mine did not say that my king is checked. On his next move he ate the king and declared himself winner even tho it's still not checkmate. lmao

6. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Game that i really don't find fun to play. All fun i could get out of it is winning so i don't like playing it and no, i am not good at at all.

7. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    I have defeated a few titled players in my time. I never really took it seriously thou.

8. Cherif ahmed

Cherif ahmed DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    a very fun game actually even needs alot of strategy and int ( i actually won my school championship XD)

9. Raffiel

Credit:
    A chess legend (Kramnik) recently retired from professional chess at barely 43.

10. Cherif ahmed

Cherif ahmed DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    i am not actually alot into chess i just find it nice and great to spend time at as a hobby ;D

11. Raffiel

Credit:
    It's quite a good hobby indeed, helps with memory, calculation, concentration, logic, beyond logic (zugswang) etc...

12. Not sure about strategies for intermediate and advance players, but there are basic strategies (or chess openings) you can go for, such as the Queen's Gambit. You can find a whole list of chess openings online. I think people that play chess a lot would easily recognize some of these common openings, but if you're just practicing or playing against an inexperienced player, it might be useful to try out. I just wouldn't recommend it if you're playing it in a tournament unless you have other strategies in mind when your opponent could predict your move.

But I think basic chess openings are better for getting comfortable with familiarizing with tiles. For novices, I think they typically think about the chess pieces (how they're supposed to move around) and the color tiles (where the piece can land on), but aren't really thinking about tiles in terms of a letter and a number (e.g. move rook to A4). When you start thinking about chess in terms of a letter and a number, it's almost like thinking like a computer program. And that way of thinking helps you better adapt to the game (perhaps in variations of chess like timed chess).