1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Cryptocurrency/collection game??

Discussion in 'Ogre's Online Game Lunch' started by Marirranya, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Marirranya

Marirranya Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    Hi guys, I just discovered a new game where you use cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoins (BTC) and Etherium (ETH) to purchase these cute animal sprites and use them to buy, sell, trade, play mini-games, put up for auction, etc.
    Is it worth it, though? Is it good/bad? Really curious and I find the whole concept unique.

Oh, and the game is Bitpet for those wondering. Here is the link if it's okay to post. Bitpet

2. Imst

Imst Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    May I ask what is your opinion on cryptocurrency on games, in general?
    I saw some games where you invest cryptocurrencies in like World of Ether and Bitpet. I never thought those type of games would exist, I think it's smart from the game developers to take advantage of the cryptocurrency hype.
    Do gamers who invest in Cryptocurrencies really take those kind of games into consideration?

3. Marirranya

Marirranya Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    Update: Bitpet seems like a good game to invest BTC and ETH in. Anyone else tried it?

4. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Doesn't sound too bad, but I feel like cryptocurrency is overkill, especially if that's actually the primary currency of the game. And I generally prefer games that use their own virtual currency.

I think blockchain technology is one of those things that's overhyped (specifically for currency), rather than being looked at for new potential uses (like creating some sort of digital fingerprint for identity security or protecting data). I'm sure there are better applications to blockchain.