1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Did You know?-First Ever Multiplayer Game

Discussion in 'Classic Games' started by VukanLFC, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Shokata

Shokata Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Thanx for information breh :)

2. Vrcinac

Vrcinac Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    playing online games all those years and i didnt know this ty for info man :D!

3. FrendlyLeBlanc

FrendlyLeBlanc King of Shadows and Rockets The Pit

Credit:
    I dont know and that is amazing! :)
    Thank you bro :)

4. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think it's debatable, because there is a distinction between local multiplayer and online multiplayer. And one can't really claim a "first" in many inventions or discoveries, because someone else might have already come up with an idea but never popularized it. Sometimes people make independent discoveries, and that's very common in computing.

When talking about local multiplayer (non-networked), there's a game called Tennis for Two (1958) which is run on an oscilloscope and is designed for two players, but that might not even be the first multiplayer game, simply the first-known. Like if you think about it, computers back then were envisioned differently than computers now; you could have embedded systems and consider those as computers.

And when talking about online multiplayer, I think it's harder to track that one down. Most people imagine games to be graphical, but the 1970s had a bunch of text-based games (most were single player though, but you could probably imagine chat rooms and interactions being the basis of a multiplayer game). But one of the earliest networked multiplayer games is an arena shooter called Empire (1973) for the PLATO system which came out before Daglow's Dungeon (1975).