1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you play with default or custom controls?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Rex, Aug 10, 2017.

1. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Well i rarely play aq3d in pc soo...

2. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    custom controls

3. Naotsku Kirigaya

Naotsku Kirigaya Big Brute New Ogre
    1. Dricken Society

Credit:
    I play Custom Controls. I like custom better cause you will know what key you bind in that control and it's nearer with your movement controls.

4. Janth14

Janth14 Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    I used the default control.

5. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Well, what kind of custom controls do you use then?

6. SN4TCH

SN4TCH Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    İ play regular controls

7. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    Custom and I think there should be a custom chat size

8. Chat size is already a thing. You can make the box height bigger or small. If you mean font size, then I think that'd be a little more tricky for the devs to do since the chat box width would have to be expanded without overlapping the class skills. Otherwise, font size would probably look clunky. I do hope for a toggle option that opens and closes chat though, and maybe draggable windows where we can rearrange where the UI is. I know some people who just genuinely don't want to read chat because they solely want to focus on gameplay, or they use a different medium of chatting like Discord or Twitch to communicate with friends/fans.

Pinkyz likes this.
  9. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    Yeah font size should be custom for players to

10. Ylber

Ylber Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I changed a few keys so that I could access stuff easier. I added Q as a shortcut to my inventory and E as a shortcut to my cross-skill. Everything else is default:)

11. Yasuo Shiro

Yasuo Shiro Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Custom controls is much better (for me)

12. Having most of the keys on the left side of your keyboard is more intuitive, but for some reason AE wanted the key to correspond with the first letter of whatever control (e.g. I for Inventory).

Personally, I wouldn't change Q and E as those keys are for strafing left and right (while A and D are for rotating your character), and I find strafing to be the most useful movement, more important than rotating as you can already use your mouse to turn your character (or at least where you're facing). I guess when you have keyboard and mouse coordination, rotating isn't the most important, so you could assign the A and D keys for strafing instead of rotating. Otherwise, faster rotation speed (which can also be customized in settings) would probably be better than strafing. Guess it's really just preference at that point.

Ylber likes this.
  13. Ylber

Ylber Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I just changed A and D (from rotating) to starfing as you mentioned. I'm sure this will improve my ability to dodge charing attacks from enemies as I usually get hit by them a lot lol. Moved inventory to another key. Cross-skill is R now. Q and E are for turning. Thanks for mentioning this! Just gotta get used to it now:D.

14. E T E R N A L

E T E R N A L Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Never changed, playing with default :)

15. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    That's the route most players go. A good thing is that the default controls are fine and you don't really need to change them.

16. Default controls feel iffy; you can usually get by it for the most part, but if you play a certain way, changing the controls is the way to go. The hardest part of changing controls is probably memorizing the new keys you've assigned, but it's easier to get used to that when you create a mnemonic (what every letter represents) and build muscle memory. A lot of the hotkeys that are on the right side of the keyboard would benefit by being on the left side (since most players position their left hand near the WASD key + space bar and their right hand on the mouse). Opening inventory, for instance, requires pressing the letter "i", but it's far better assigning inventory to the "b" key, and it's easy to remember the 'b' key since the letter stands for 'bag.' When you need to press 'b', you just move your thumb from the space bar to the 'b' key. Anything you frequently use (cross-skill, forms, potions, main menu, bag, UI hiding) would be nicer to have on the left while less frequently used stuff (quest log, potion shop, map, craft menu) would be better to keep on the right. Of course, it all comes down to play style... I tend to rush through the game and do things as quickly as possible, so I find it convenient to use custom controls.

My mnemonic for memorizing the keybind controls I set up goes like this:
    B - Bag (Inventory)
    F - Form (Item Slot 3, which I use to assign a form)
    L - Log (Quest Log)
    T - Things to Claim (Craft Menu)
    M - Map (Travel)
    P - Player (Character)
    O - Online/Offline Friends (Social)
    H - Health/Mana Potion Shop (Potion)
    C - Classes (Classes)

Then the stuff I put to muscle memory are:
    ` - Cross Skill (it's easier pressing the grave/tilde key than pressing the number 6 since it's more left of the keyboard)
    R - Toggle UI (if I'm trying to take screenshots and toggle my UI, I'm usually going to move around to find the right position, so it's convenient having the toggle near my direction keys WASD and my strafe keys QE).
    G - Item Slot 4 (since it's the next key after the F key, and I have the F key assigned for Item Slot 3)
    Z and X - Item Slot 1 and Item Slot 2 (I use these slots for health and mana potions, and since I heal while moving around sometimes, like when dodging attacks, it's convenient using buttons that are below the WASD keys).

17. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    I play pretty much with the default controls but with a different hide UI key. I don't find the need to change anything else because the game plays the way I want it to.

18. hfi

hfi Banned The Pit

Credit:
    When im playing in pc i really change my keyboard system into where i am confortable and even in my phone :)

19. ArtificeJoker

ArtificeJoker Big Bad Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    If im playing on pc. I change the setting to Mobile settings. Ang change some movement controls too. Can't really maneuver well with default settings.

20. Default controls for phone tend to be annoying. There's the feature where you automatically face the target and walk to the target which I don't really like as much, and I think the worst feature for mobile is the screen shake feature. Screen shake doesn't enhance the gaming experience, just makes it harder to enjoy it.