1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think SteamOS will ever be the best game-dedicated operating system?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Snowy, Dec 28, 2020.

1. SteamOS has been around for a while, and it seems to be built within the Linux family for Steam games. I think it's an operating system worth having (maybe for a Linux [e.g. Mint, Ubuntu, etc.] + SteamOS dual boot), if you can't get Windows, but it's clear that Windows is better for gaming (plus you have access to non-Steam games). So many game developers focus on Windows first, and many tools are built specifically for Windows (e.g. dynamic-link libraries) to make development easier.

And I think you'd be better off with Windows anyway, even if you don't have the license for Windows and just have to deal with an "Activate Windows" watermark.

Personally, I don't think SteamOS will be revolutionary unless game developers focus on specifically building for that platform and until Linux developers add new things to improve gaming. It could have some potential though, but I just don't see SteamOS becoming the de facto operating system for gaming anytime soon. What do you think about SteamOS? What would encourage you to use SteamOS?

2. It looks like the upcoming Steam Deck handheld gaming PC will come with a customized version of Steam OS 3.0 based on Arch Linux. This could open doors to Linux gaming if this device becomes a success (since Steam is a popular service), unless the operating system becomes its own fork similar to Android.

And I think there is a good reason to get the Steam Deck anyway. With all the controversy on the new OLED Switch not being a "power console", I think there will be some people that may get a Steam Deck, especially to play AAA games on-the-go.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Steam Deck's non-detachable controls and how the controls go all the way to the corner of the device, but hopefully the USB port on the device can support your own controllers. I do think the other benefit of the Steam Deck is that games will be cheaper (less than $60), especially since Steam's service often has the best sales for games.