1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Does RNG treat you well?

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by Rex, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think RNG could be improved. For items with a drop rate of 0.1% or less, it would make more sense to have a guaranteed payout system to reward you the drop after a certain number of attempts (sort of like those rigged arcade machines that give out prizes after a certain number of plays). Like all it would take is a counter system to count the number of times a monster was killed, and you would really only need that counter system for extremely low drop rates.

Like for instance, say that you had a 1/1000 chance item. You could get that item to drop on your first try, second try, or even your final try. But the problem is what happens if you go above 1,000 attempts or sometimes even worse, go above 5,000 attempts on a 0.1% item (which is possible, but not highly probable); you start losing confidence that you can ever get the drop you're looking for. So the solution would be to maybe have the 1,000th monster you kill always reward you the drop and then the counter resets back to zero; and if you get the drop before your 1,000th attempt, then the counter resets back to zero.

It just seems intuitive to have a payout system that rewards you the item after a certain number of failures, and not just the naīve RNG approach where you just have to keep trying. Because the lower the chance of an item, the higher the variance from the average.

Like consider a 100% drop rate. You're always guaranteed to get the item 100% of the time on average (1 attempt).
    Then consider a 50% drop rate. It's 1/2 chance (2 attempts) on average, but sometimes it'll take 3 attempts or 4 attempts which isn't so bad.
    But as you keep lowering the percentaging, the variance increases. Like for a 0.0001%, that's 1/1,000,000 chance (or 1 million attempts on average), but it could take 3 million attempts or a more ridiculous number of attempts like 100 million.

2. Rizlaftw

Rizlaftw Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    RNG Treats me well I have all rares except Blaze Chibi Pet & Tater weapon in only a year of farming that, debated changing my name to my alts name R N J E S U S, But I’ve used Scoobz an variants of for 18yrs now so I can’t change lol.

I would say it’ll be nice if they increased your chances or the system was better lol.

I need to get married in game for a free blaze chibi pet.

3. redbirds

redbirds Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    The two items you want are super super rare to get, but if you persist, it will work!

4. KingMyth

KingMyth Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I always take decades to get an item