1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress: Death to the elves!

Discussion in 'Sandbox Games' started by quinn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Dwarf Fortress (DF), is a highly extensive simulation in a fantasy setting. The player plays the role of the Dwarves, living in an underground complex, doing whatever they wish. Some players might start a breeding industry, breeding cats to skin them and eat them for food. They might build GIGANTIC megacontructions, like this shrine:

They also have to fend off attacks from the Goblins, who try to steal your children. The other civilizations (elves, humans, dwarves), all send caravans each year to trade, if you have a trading depot. If they are killed, however, the civs might make war on you.

Maybe your dwarves might even make something like this:
    [​IMG]
    -more added soon, I gtg :D-

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I've been wanting to get into Dwarf Fortress for a while, but I'm too busy playing my other games currently. I've found a guide on the internet, but do you have any guides that you recommend Quinn? Or better yet, how about writing your own?

3. quinn

Credit:
    I can write my own, that is a great idea :D

I just read the wiki for hours, but I think I can write a guide...gimme a few days, alright :D

We need a guide using stonesense anyways. (that is the program used to make that screenshot, the game is actually ASCII based. Don't let it scare you though.)

EDIT: I might have to remake it soon though, a new version that has been worked on for a year is coming out soon, with some pretty big changes...

4. quinn

Credit:
    It's going to be a play-along tut, where you get my save files to play with!
    I'll be using a graphics set too, for all you ascii haters.

If anyone get's good, we can have a succession fort, where the save file gets passed around each year. :D

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Don't worry quinn, I know it's ASCII based. The reason I wanted to play it is because I hear that it's a really fun free game, and has loads of replayability, once you get into it.

Also, I did hear that you can generate graphical maps on it, but each one takes up 50MB am I right? (not that 50MB is a lot for me at all)

6. quinn

Credit:
    No idea how much space it takes up, but you can export a picture of your fort into a .png file.

Then you can upload it to this cool site where you can look around others forts and such. You can record movies with DF too, which is awesome.

I figured you knew it was ASCII, but others might want a graphics set, so I'll use it in the tutorial.

It has tons of replayablity, especially if you decide not to throw your nobles into magma. (Nobles SUCK! They send dwarves to jail for exporting goods that they want to hoard. If you have no jail, they get punished via hammerer. Which usually kills them.)

ELVES! Also need to burn in magma, which is why I usually have a drowning trap set up to connect to my Trade Depot...they go in, and I drown them :D
    They are hypocrites, getting angry if you cut down trees, yet they trade you wooden goods. And useless cloth. Possibly a super good animal, but not likely. I won't tell you this in the tutorial, at least at first. War is the last thing you newbies need, survival comes first!

7. quinn

Credit:
    If you want me to name a dwarf after you in my tutorial, please post with one of these choices:
    Miner / Mason
    Mason / Mechanic
    Miner / something else
    Carpenter / Wood cutter
    Grower / Brewer (dwarves require beer and wine to survive.)/Cook
    Hunter or Herbalist or Fisher, whichever the person named after wants. - Awesomedrako chose hunter! Yay! (He's gonna be useful, so no magma drowning for him...)
    And the mayor/trader/brooker, who will be me - TAKEN BY QUINN!

If you are worried about a dwarf getting tortured, you better post a choice, I will be throwing all un-nicknamed dwarves into magma. Or not, newbies don't need magma...or do they [evil laugh here]

8. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I want to be the Hunter! Ninja sneaking parkour Ezio Link... Robin Hood... Solid Snake... Sniper... person!!!!

I'm also not sure what you mean with those choices, because I don't know the game well. Does the game have all those types of dwarves? Or can you make each dwarf do each of them jobs? I don't mind if you torture any other dwarves... mUHAHAHAHAaaa!!!

9. quinn

Credit:
    There are tons of jobs, these are the ones I am starting with. Later, when we get immigrants, we will have tons more dwarves to do things with, like engraving walls, making metal armor, klaughtering cats and tanning their skin into armor, and other stuff..

I'll make you the hunter then. I'll put my game up for download soon, so you will have the graphics/settings all set up. Just curious, how fast is your computer?

You do realize that hunters go outside right? And attacks come from outside, and sometimes the hunter gets slaughtered by the things he is hunting....
    just sayin'.

10. quinn

Credit:
    Also, on replayablity:
    Worlds are randomly generated for every fortress. Then you choose a place on this huge map to place your fort.
    You can change the way that things are generated though, such as making more volcanos/endless chasms. By giving this info plus a certain number used to generate the world, you can make the same world be generated onto another computer. Save files + world files can also be downloaded :D

11. quinn

Credit:
  12. quinn

Credit:
    Chapter 1: Getting Around the Menu and Embark Map

Hello to-be dwarves. I am creating this tutorial so that all the newbies to Dwarf Fortress can learn how to play. It will be as painless as possible, and maybe even fun! After this you will be hooked on DF for the rest of your life. And if you aren't, there is a full money back guarantee! We will even give you your hard drive space (15MB) back too!

Let's get going! First, download the tutorial DF I have created. This contains a Dwarf Fortress set up with graphics and a world already generated. This way you don't have to make another world, and you can follow this tutorial by playing in the same world!

First, run the program dwarfort.exe inside the folder. That is all.
    You should get a menu like this (it looks a little off because of the graphics I included, like O's will be barrels. The world map will do this too, like goblin forts being cabinets.):
    [​IMG]

Select "Start Playing" with the arrow keys/numkeys, and press enter. Choose "Fortress" and continue. On to the embark!

[​IMG]

OH NO! A SCARY SCREEN FILLED WITH THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

That's alright, it was my reaction too. Don't worry, you will learn it all!
    To move around the "World" map quickly, use shift+arrow keys. Then use the arrow keys to move around the region map in the middle. Finally,use the hukm and HUKM keys to resize and move the selection on the local map.

U
    H K These keys resize the area on the left screen, the local map.
    M

In lowercase, they move the selection on that map. Sometimes there are more than one biome in an area, press f1-f5 to see the info on each one. While looking at the information on the left, press tab to find some more info info. Here are the screens that are most important:
    [​IMG]

By pressing F, you can use the location finder. For this tutorial, I tried to find an easy spot:
    Low Savagery
    Low Evil
    Yes for Flux Stone
    No No No! for aquifer
    Yes for rivers.
    No for underground water (bad things live there.)
    No for magma (2 words - Fire Imps. They can burn you to a crisp.)

in the next chapter, we will select our dwarves, and Embark!

13. quinn

Credit:
    Chapter 2: Moving in!
    [​IMG]
    Looks like you know your way around well, now it's time to move on in! Navigate to here, and press "e" for embark. Choose "Prepare for the Journey Carefully", we are going to pick custom skillsets for our dwarves.

[​IMG]

Noooooo! Not another confusing screen!

Actually, this one isn't too confusing, just overwhelming with all the skills. However, I have chosen a good skillset for people new to DF, you just have to put it in. To change skills, select a dwarf with the arrow keys, and then press the right arrow key to choose skills. Press the - or + keys to change the level of the skills. There is a max of 5 points in each skill, and 10 points per dwarf. Each point costs embark points, which are limited. If you run out of embark points while setting up your dwarves, continue to the items step, then return here.

Set these skills all on 5 points unless noted :D
    Dwarf 1 - Miner / Mason
    Dwarf 2 - Miner / Stone Crafter
    Dwarf 3 - Mason / Mechanic
    Dwarf 4 - Carpenter / Wood Cutter
    Dwarf 5 - 5 Grower / 2 Brewer / 3 Cook
    Dwarf 6 - 5 Marksdwarf / 2 Ambusher / 2 Butcher / 1 Tanner
    Dwarf 7 - 3 Record Keeper / 2 Organizer / 2 Appraiser / 2 Judge of Intent / 1 Negotiator

With this build, surviving should be easy. With the right items that is! Pressing tab on this screen brings up the items screen, where you can pick the items the colonist dwarves will take with them. Press "n" to pick new items, and the - and + keys to add and subtract items. Here is what I suggest:

2 Copper Picks - 1 per miner
    1 battle axe - so you can chop wood
    1 Anvil - so you can make weapons, trade crafts, and such
    20 units of drink: Anything but dwarven wine, which you'll get through brewing plump helmets really soon.
    30 Plump Helmets - They're good to eat and produce 5 units of booze for each one brewed at a still.
    5 turtles - they get you rare bones and shells
    20 plump helmet spawn - for planting.
    2 dogs - to guard against thieves and help kill intruders.
    2 cats - To breed for meat and to kill vermin
    1 of every meat that costs 2 points that you can afford. This gets you more barrels to start with.

Press "c" on any dwarf to change their nickname. Press F and G to name the fort and group.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Woot! We finished! Time to embark on our way! (My dwarves are all named after users at the GameOgre forums.)
    Press "e" to embark. Next chapter we will learn about the game! Once you embark, immediately press space to pause. Then press "esc" and choose Save Game. This will end the game and save it for you.

14. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    *skip this if you're reading the guide*

At your previous comments, if I die as a hunter, then it'll be your fault Quinn, not mine :D

Also, my computer is fairly old now, I think over 3 years old. It has an Intel E6550 dual-core at 2.33Ghz, 250GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, and I dunno about my graphics card or whether I even have one.

15. quinn

Credit:
    I've got about 2GB ram and 2.0Ghz, so you should be good :D

DF is the most computer intensive game I play, I'd bet. So many things going on behind the scenes.

16. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well, when I generated a map, it took around 10 seconds, so I think I'm good.

17. quinn

Credit:
    Generating a map is nothing @[email protected] :D
    Unless you mess up the settings so you get ~1000 rejected maps before it gives up.

The real fun begins when you get ~150-200 dwarves. Your dwarves will half in speed from the beginning :D

Also, find the file in the DF folder titled init.txt (in data/init)
    and find the part that says
    [FPS:NO]
    and change it to
    [FPS:YES]
    so you get a FPS counter.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  18. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I haven't actually started going through your guide while playing the game by the way, I can only play games at the weekend.

19. quinn

Credit:
    My guide hasn't even got to the playing part yet, I'm getting to that today.
    Right now it guides you through setting up all your dwarves skills and stuffs.
    And a skillset that is good for newbies.

I'm trying to remember if dead dwarves are eligible for canabalism. That would be a good fort idea (carnivores only!)

Right now I'm building a dwarven baseball park, it has elves put in chains and killed with catapults. At least it will when I finish it :D

20. quinn

Credit:
    Chapter 3: Getting Dug In
    [​IMG]
    Finally our sweet lil' colonists have arrived. This is the screen we will see while we are playing! It has these three sections:
    Left - Local View, shows all of the stuff in this area of the map.
    Middle - Commands list
    Right - World Map

You can switch layouts by pressing tab!

First, let's set that wagon to be destroyed for wood, it's useless for us anyways! Press "q" and move the cursor over the wagon until it flashes. Then press "x" for sweet destruction! Now press space to leave this menu, and space again to unpause the game. Watch a dwarf run over and deconstruct it, then pause the game again.

[​IMG]
    What did deconstructing it do for us? Let's see, press "k" to loo"k" around! Move the cursor around the area, and see all the stuff we brought! Items on this screen can be "f"orbid from use, or set to put in a garbage "d"ump. Metal objects can be set for "m"elting also. Different objects can be selected on the left with the + and - keys, used to navigate secondary menus such as this.

Good job, now let's unpause, and check on what our dwarves are doing. (Press space until you are on the home screen, then press "u" for units.)

[​IMG]
    Oh crud, our butcher/hunter is hunting! WITH UNICORNS AROUND! Unicorns are peaceful, but a real pain if angered. Let's stop our dwarf from hunting for now, alright? Put the cursor over him, and press "c" to zoom the camera to him.

[​IMG]
    He is already selected for us, how nice. (To select dwarves in the future, press "v" for "view dwarf".) The screen starts with some basic information. Let's stop him from hunting! Press "p" for preferences, then "l" for labors. Scroll the list (+ and -) and find Hunting, then press enter. Yay, he stopped hunting, just in time too! Let's zoom back to the camp (pick a different dwarf from the units list, and zoom to him.) and start digging!

[​IMG]
    WHOA! What is this? There is no grass or anything...
    That's alright, it's not another dimension, just a different z-level. This means we went down! You can go down with > and up with <. I simply went down a level from our wagon, and selected an area nearby. Let's build a ramp! Ramps are built by pressing "d" for the designations menu, and then pressing "r" for upward ramp. Select a place nearby, and select it, then select an area three squares down. This will make a wide enough ramp for traders and such to enter too! Unpause, and wait for your dwarves to work.

[​IMG]
    Whoa digging! To dig, open the designations menu (like for ramps), then press "d" for dig! I dug out a small hallway, can't you? It's soil, so it doesn't make rock, and can be dug out very quickly. Farms need soil to grow, so this is perfect for us! First, let's dig out an area for a farm too!

[​IMG]
    I dug out an area for two things, a Stockpile, to keep our seeds in, and a area for a Farm Plot! Let's make the stockpile first, press p, then c, then t. We've opened the custom stockpile menu!

[​IMG]
    Good job, let's make the stockpile take only seeds (as shown in the screenie). First select food, then press enter. Press "b" to turn off everything, then select seeds and press "p" to allow all seeds. Leave the menu, and designate the small area just like you did with digging. Now for the farm!

To build a farm, we are going to use the build menu! Press "b" to open it. There is a whole list of things we can build! You can navigate it with the + and - keys, or use the shortcuts. For now, press "p" to build a farm plot. Use the umhk keys to resize it and fit it in the room, and press enter. A farmer will now construct it. Once he does, pause the game again.