1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

External HardDrive

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    How many people use one of these? Thinking about buying one 3 to 5 TB because my current hard drive is in the process of failing. Not sure if they can be used together but I found it nice that I could use one on my Xbox One:).

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Xbox supports USB external HDD's, just make sure it's one that has it's own power source for best results. PC wise, I prefer internal. External would be good for backups and maybe games but I find it gets kinda messy with Steam and stuff. I personally use a 5TB on my Xbox One and a 2TB on my Wii U.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Well, I need to install a 1TB hard drive (which really helps nothing space wise as I have that much now) very soon or get an external one because my current one is on the verge of failing.

Have you installed internal hard drives before? I have one, but I have to make sure it is done correctly because I cant bring my big rig to a computer store lol.

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I don't think an external can be used as the main hdd if the current one were to fail, might be mistaken (it is possible on Linux but dunno about Windows) so you might need an internal one anyways. It should be super easy to install, most are in their own HDD tray, on my PC it's a simple screw, slide it out and one plug. How you get your stuff over, I'm not sure.

5. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    At the very least changing the boot order to boot first from usb should allow you to try booting from an external hard drive, but I would recommend against it, especially if you already have a spare internal but even if you don't. Good news is desktops at least are usually designed to be easily upgradeable.

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yea, I will go ahead and try the internal one whether I get an external one or not. I already have it so why not:).

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yea, may have to try this in the next few days because cant even use Firefox right now.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit: