1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

External Storage

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I just picked up 4 TBs on sale last night. This is in addition to 1 TB I had before.

Anybody have any experiences with these? The software did not provide a backup and neither the software or the backup area in my PC seem to pick it up at all. They say its disconnected while its hooked up and powered on. I don't see an on switch for it either. Maybe its ue to my PC being USB 2 instead of USB 3?

Thankfully, Windows Explorer seems to solve this problem so far, but I doubt its boot ready doing it that way. Moving my whole C drive over which is 900 GB, but the transfer that is still going says only 503. Could that be due to a failed drive maybe?

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    If you can see it in file explorer, it's connected and powered. Externals often don't have a power switch, they're either supplied with power and thus on, or not supplied with power and thus off.

If your goal is to actually boot from it and make it your system drive, you really DON'T want to use an external drive for that. Windows reinitializes the USB ports during bootup, which means bad things if your windows operating system is connected via USB.

I've never used backup/recovery software with my files, but I do keep backups of my stuff on my external hard drive in case something happens to the copies on my internal drives, just manually moving stuff over in file explorer.

ogreman likes this.