1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Upgrade to VB5

Discussion in 'Ogres Hall' started by ogreman, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Since the main site work is now complete (the major stuff), we will be upgrading the forum now all the way to VB5 to make it more mobile friendly and have more features:).

With that in mind, several plugins will be tested and upgraded to work on the new site. Of course, Ogre Wars, Chat, and the Video Directory are on that list to upgrade.

The arcade and experience (points) system should have upgrades already.

If you have any more suggestions of plugins you would like to see carried over, announce it here.

Unlike this last time, the forum will not be brought live until fully tested.

2. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    The only chatbox for vb5 at this point is in beta https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=288915
    I should note that we originally considered their shoutbox for our current forum version and tried it something like two years ago and it had issues. This may well work perfectly fine, it just didn't then. I still prefer the simplicity of our current chatbox.

They don't make triple triad for vb5.

I'd kind of like london chase if anyone was actually playing but since they don't have one of those either, I'll do without.

vb5 doesn't have the mod support of previous versions so there's really not much of anything we can just straight carry over. It's a completely different ballgame vs vb3 or vb4.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hmmm wonder if vb4 is good and secure.

VB5 seems to be very restrictive so been taking a look at Xenforo as a possibility. They seem to have a good chat box. The games are not there, but might could do much more on the main site for those if we go that direction. Talking with the developer about that:).

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Xenforo is looking like a better possibility these days:).

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Xenforo is pretty sweet, it's by some of the key vB devs. Like many software projects they hit a fork and another project was born.