1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Free Memberships?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ogreman, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    This will be a debate on whether free memberships are worth playing in MMORPGs when the games also have premium accounts. If you want to debate this issue, state which side you are for and then make your case.

2. mattse123

mattse123 Big Brute

Credit:
    i think free memberships would be brilliant for games like runescape wow and much more!.

3. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Actually, free memberships in runescape are brilliant.

A free membership on most games just another word for a trial without a time limit. Your not going to get much out of it, and therefore it's not worth playing.

However there are exceptions, for example look at runescape. It's free membership is very good. You can do a lot, make friends, train skills and such. Of course such games are worth playing, providing you can have fun any game is worth playing.

4. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Free memberships are usually not worth playing because the pay membership has all the goodies:p.

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    For Runescape, and I HAVE played Runescape before, for quite a long time on a FREE account, but trust me, it's boring. You have to pay to get all the good stuff. Free Runescape is just 10 quests, and a LOT of grinding, and if you want to make friends, you're better off playing another game, or better yet, going out.

I don't know about other games however

6. Hawk

Hawk Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Yeh thats the same as Superstar racing you can buy the good stuff only if you get a vip membership and you have to pay for that.And to get the good parts for the cars you need a vip membership and to go past the novice level you need a vip membership!!! 1 month = £4.95 1 year=£30

7. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    As a matter of fact there are 17 free runescape quests

8. insanespoon

insanespoon DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Well it all depends on how they set up the game. Am I extremely limited on where I can go? Is there no limit? I understand they hold content back for the free gamers but sometimes it's just too much.

9. Hawk

Hawk Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Yeh thats true...

10. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    Can anyone explain what exactly grinding is?

11. insanespoon

insanespoon DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Grinding is doing something repeatedly for EXP or gold.

12. nuitariwolf

nuitariwolf BamBam

Credit:
    grinding= kill anything and everything in your path for xp, skill point's, gold, item's nonstop, no quest's no pvp, just all out dull slaying.

13. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    A game that is just grinding is not worth playing whether free or not.

14. EvcRo

EvcRo BamBam

Credit:
    I think all people should be subscribers, to cut the hipocrisis.

15. cotz

cotz MMORPGer

Credit:
    count me in, wherever side.. lol

16. DarkJedi

DarkJedi DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    I like to playing games but i have to think how much it cost.. I'll go to P2P games because the monthly expenses is fixed unlike free free to play game, yes it's free to play but you have to buy some premium items for you to get rare items or items that you need inside the game. Sometimes you didn't realize that you expenses is become bigger 'coz you didn't noticed how much you spent on that game.. If you can spend more money for MMOs why not.. Just play and enjoy.. But for me I have to think first if that game is suitable for my budget ^^ so that I can enjoy my self in real world not just in cyber world only... For the Dude asking what is grinding? I can answer that question.. Grinding is the term that players normally use inside the game.. Other term is Farming.. Players just killing mobs to get some items and selling those items to market and in some games you can get gold on mobs. I don't know if we can use grinding if you are doing your quest but mostly it is farming for gold.. Note: Do not farm or grind if you are BOT.. because if so, you are working for power leveling..

17. Victrolla

Victrolla Big Brute

Credit:
    I don't think a game should be considered "free" unless it is completely (100%) free.

I think we should have 3 categories: "completely free"; "limited free" when you can play some quests: and, "you must pay for this game".

Only in the "completely free" games will all players be equal on or off the battlefield. The other 2 categories will always have someone more able to put a lot of money each month into a game in order to increase their stats or power. PvP duels can't be fair.

Some games feature "rare" items and then bring them back a year or so later for members to buy. That isn't fair, at all.

18. Astruil

Astruil Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yes , i agree , runescape free!!!!lol haha if that happend it would be great

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    It depends on whether the free account is worth it or not, for example, the Runescape free account is not worth it, because it is HUGELY limited, and playing on the free runescape account needs a LOT more grinding than the member account. However, a game like the Artix Entertainment games are worth the free accounts, because the free accounts still contain similar gameplay experiences to the premium accounts, just that the premium accounts have slightly more features.

20. Eviran

Eviran Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    Games have to make money period. Any game that is "completely free" will not last very long unless it has a crapload of donations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.