1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Hearthstone's new format will see old expansions retired from 'Standard' play

Discussion in 'Trading Card Games' started by brankomiljus20, Feb 2, 2016.

1. brankomiljus20

brankomiljus20 Ogre Warlord Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Exciting changes are coming to the Tavern! We’re proud to announce that we’re introducing game formats to Hearthstone! Whether you’re just getting into Hearthstone or you’re a seasoned veteran, the new Standard format will help keep Hearthstone fresh, exciting, and accessible for years to come, while the Wild format will preserve everything you already know and love about Hearthstone!

Designer Insights with Ben Brode: A New Way to Play

The New Standard
    Standard is a new format in Play mode that allows players to go head-to-head using only the most recently released Hearthstone cards. You’ll play Standard using a deck built solely from a pool of cards that were released in the current and previous calendar year, along with a core foundation of the Basic and Classic card sets (which will always be valid for Standard). You’ll be matched against other players who are also using Standard decks.

[​IMG]

Standard is only available as a format in Friendly Challenges, Ranked, and Casual play, so it won’t affect Arena, Solo play, or Adventures.

Gone Wild
    Adventures and Expansions that are not part of the Standard format will no longer be available for purchase from the Shop—this year, that includes Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes. If you want any cards you missed out on for Wild play or just to fill out your collection, you’ll be able to craft them using Arcane Dust—even cards from Adventures that were previously un-craftable. Speaking of Adventures, if you’ve purchased at least the first wing of an Adventure before it cycled out, you’ll still be able to finish acquiring and playing the remaining wings.

For full details go to source on battle.net, or click HERE

2. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    On standard mode, no more Sludge Belcher, Piloted Shredder, Antique Healbot, Dr. Boom, Zombie Chow, Loatheb Mad Scientist, Nerubian Egg, Velen's Chosen, Unstable Portal and many more cards.
    I h8 this change, we wont be able to access over 150 cards, also because all tournaments will be played on this mode, it wont be fun as before, only good thing here is that we will get 18 slots for making deck, and that u would be able to chase what standard will u play on ranked
    What do u think about this ?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. Cybat

Cybat Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    i like the idea of making the game easier for new players without cards and the deck slot increase, but i dont get why did they ban those specific cards from standard play. too op or? :bored

4. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    They will always remove cards from oldest expansions, am not sure are they doing that when new expansion is out or on end of year, basically they wana keep number of cards as lower as possible. All cards from removed expansion will be craftable with arcane dust

Cybat likes this.
  5. Guts

Guts DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Yea i'd hate anything that restricts the cards you can use, even though i don't have most of these. On the other hand it's not that bad since the wild mode ranked is the same as before. Hopefully they'll make some cool new cards to make up for this.

Also if i understood correctly ''if you’ve purchased at least the first wing of an Adventure before it cycled out, you’ll still be able to finish acquiring and playing the remaining wings'' means that since i have the first wing of Nax i can still get the others for gold at anytime?

Cybat likes this.
  6. brankomiljus20

Credit:
    Am not sure, but it sounds like that, it is quite new thing, so we dont know all info

7. djolebelevode

djolebelevode Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    Hm,interesting change,but don't see point of restricting some cards

8. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    On one hand I wanna believe this is to keep things "fresh" but on the other it sure seems like a way to "encourage" people to buy the new card packs. By reducing the card pool though it should be easier for them to balance everything. I don't know... this is kinda a disaster for card collectors though.