1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes of the Might and Magic VI

Discussion in 'Lists and Directory' started by arZ, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    Here is a "short" video about this game ...

WTF Is... - Heroes of Might and Magic 6 ? (beta) - YouTube

I played it since the first Heroes 1 ... and now we got Heroes of the might and magic 6.

Now some words to this game ...

The Heroes series is turn-based strategy. The titular heroes are player characters who can recruit armies, move around the map, capture resources, and engage in combat. The heroes also incorporate some role-playing game elements; they possess a set of statistics that confer bonuses to an army, artifacts that enhance their powers, and knowledge of magical spells that can be used to attack enemies or produce strategic benefits. Also, heroes gain experience levels from battle, such that veteran heroes are significantly more powerful than inexperienced ones. Experienced heroes may persist through a campaign, but generally do not carry over between scenarios.

On a typical map, players begin a game with one town of a chosen alignment. The number of different alignments varies throughout the series, with the lowest count of four appearing initially in Heroes I and peaking at nine in the Heroes III expansion Armageddon's Blade. Each town alignment hosts a unique selection of creatures from which the player can build an army. Town alignment also determines other unique traits such as native hero classes, special bonuses or abilities, and leanings toward certain skills or kinds of magic.

Towns play a central role in the games since they are the primary source of income and new recruits. A typical objective in each game is to capture all enemy towns. Maps may also start with neutral towns, which do not send out heroes but may still be captured by any player. It is therefore possible, and common, to have more towns than players on a map. When captured, a town retains its alignment type, allowing the new owner to create a mixed army. A player or team is eliminated when no towns or heroes are left under their control. Barring any special conditions, the last player or team remaining is the victor.

A side objective commonly appearing in the series is the acquisition of a powerful object called the "ultimate artifact," (Heroes I and II), grail (III and IV) or Tear of Asha (V), buried under a random tile on the map. As heroes visit special locations called obelisks, pieces are removed from a jigsaw puzzle-like map, gradually revealing its location to the player. Once found, it confers immense bonuses to the player capable of breaking a stalemate: the grail can be taken back to a town and used to build a special structure, while the ultimate artifact provides the bonuses directly through possession.

Whenever a player engages in battle, the game changes from the adventure map display to a combat screen, which is based on either a hexagonal or square grid. In this mode, the game mimics the turn-based tactics genre, as the engaged armies must carry through the battle without the opportunity to reinforce or gracefully retreat. With few exceptions, combat must end with the losing army deserting, being destroyed, or paying a heavy price in gold to surrender. Surrendering allows the player to keep the remaining units intact.

Creatures in an army are represented by unit stacks, each of which consists of a single type of creature, in any quantity. A limited number of stacks are available to each army, varying by game. Players generally maneuver their stacks attempting to achieve the most favorable rate of attrition for themselves. The games also have an automatic combat option that allows the computer to make tactical choices for a player. Heroes participate in battle as well: passively by granting bonuses to their army, and actively by engaging in combat and casting spells. In most of the games, heroes do not act as units, and cannot be harmed. However, in Heroes IV they do act as regular units and can be "killed"; these dead heroes are transferred to the nearest town's dungeon where they can be freed if their team captures the town.

Combat is affected by several random factors. In addition to simulating dice rolls to determine damage, a variety of influences including hero abilities and special bonuses determine a unit's luck and morale ratings, which affect the likelihood of those units triggering a bonus during combat. A unit that triggers good luck deals more (or receives less) damage, and a unit that triggers high morale receives an extra turn. In some other games, luck and morale can also be negative, with opposite corresponding effects. Luck and morale can be improved by hero abilities, artifacts, and spells. Morale may suffer with overwhelming odds in combat or by mixing incompatible unit types. (wiki)

Best Heroes of the Might and Magic for me was 5, then 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
  2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Nice writeup:). I remember the first games in that series were very addictive. Didn't the whole series lose popularity with the more recent installments?

3. Dzoni1991

Dzoni1991 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I dont play this game, but with write up i like it, i will play this game.

4. Noblesse

Noblesse Clubbed For Copying Reviews

Credit:
    I took a look at the video..not bad at all :)

5. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    Nah I would say ... No.

The game lose popularity since the Heroes of The Might and Magic IV released.
    Heroes 2 was a good game, but it was not balanced.
    Heroes 3 was a perfect game... yes but with some unbalanced characters but many of the true heroes fans say that this was the best version.
    After that 3DO and Ubisoft create together the Heroes IV and the game was so ugly ...
    you could kill everything just with 1 Vampire ( he had a special ability to drain life ).
    And the heroes was gone for a year/two. After that Ubisoft create Heroes of the Might and Magic V.
    It was a better graphic version from Heroes 3 ... and it was balanced and playable. So ... Heroes IV was the true reason.

The more recent installments was cool ...
    MOre in Heroes 5 then in 3 ... I rly like it.

6. Kinetiko

Kinetiko Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    yeah, heroes rock... i play since Heroes 1... Heroes 3 stayed best for me

7. Lexa

Lexa Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Uuuu I played that game 3 years ago! And it's awesome! :D

8. Gavra10

Gavra10 Clubbed for Ignoring Rule and Rude PM

Credit:
    Wow nice text :D Awesome :D

9. reljaknez

reljaknez Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    its nice games
    Soo cool

10. Aki013

Aki013 League of Legends Player Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    nice game , but popular is low i think ;/

11. arZ

arZ Banned The Pit

Credit:
    yea it no more so popular like heroes II and III.
    In the last one they change many things ... rly dont know why.
    Why ppl do changes when the game is nice ... they just destroyed it ... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.