1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find GameOgre.com?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Webber, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I found it years ago when looking for a free MMORPG. I joined the forum back in the summer of 2008 and been here ever since:).

2. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I saw that SF had events here before, so I found the site, and saw they were having a Gameogre exclusive event. and I stayed

3. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    in 2008 i was saying to my friend wow wasnt the best game ever so he told me to go look in this site so i went and i saw a arcade :eek:!!! then i started playing in the arcade then i found the forum!

4. Elfen

Elfen Stuck in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    I searched "free nexon cards without doing offers" on google and some blog that said this was a easy fun way to get them and had a link to this site i joined and stayed for 1 month so far. :D

5. imran446

imran446 Noob Muncher

Credit:
    I was looking for a few MMORPG a few years ago and yea this is the site I use to look at em even though I think I played every single when thats 100% free already.. Than I joined forum because I was bored one day.

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Same as a couple of people, I was looking for the best free MMORPG (cos I was really into them at that time), and I found this site. I kept using it to find new MMOs to play, and have watched it change over the years. It was probably a year after I signed up before I really became active in the forums though.

7. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I signed up cause my friend told me too :p
    Lol guess I'm the only one that joined without a real reason

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Someone told me it was a fun way to earn UGC's without doing anything really except talking.. which turned out to be true!

9. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well... either a LOT of talking or a LOT of hard work in one of the contests.

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Haha I don't really care about how fast I earn UGC's. For example, I could post in every topic, answer every trivia question, spam everywhere, but what would be the point? In the time and work I'd be putting into that, I could just go out and get a job and work for the UGC. I find I earn points faster when I simply use the forum and don't worry about them. Every 3-4 days I check 'em and its around 200 points higher than last time, which is pretty satisfying. Plus I'm pretty set, I don't even know what I'm going to use my UGC for when I do eventually get it.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    You won't spam everywhere:). The main idea is to be part of the community. Members come and go, but we have good core of regulars here:).

12. slessman

slessman Big Brute

Credit:
    Well, I was an MMO newbie and I wanted to learn more about the genre of games. I am glad that I was able to find this site. To be honest I just did a general search for gaming forums and found several. This one was one of my favorites that I tried out. Now I have been here for awhile.

13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I actually forgot about the UGCs for a long time despite me getting enough for one after a while :D

14. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    WARNING LONG STORY

summary
    I basically stumbled upon it with a google search...

how I came about looking for gameogre, before I knew there was a gameogre

I started playing online games in 2004 and first played utopia for the next 2 years or so. Somewhere in 2006 I got bored of utopia and I decided, I wanted to play a new game. Not knowing exactly what game to look for, I figured, I'd do a google search for the "top 100 online games". I visited a few game review sites and searched through some top 200 lists, but none of these sites were any good. Basically these sites had too much adverts, pop-ups, or double entries (one had various wow sites listed dozen of times) in the list, a terrible interface, etcetera etcetera.

2006 my first visit
    Finally I found a link in google to a site called gameogre.com. I visited it and it had some weird banner with an ogre with a big club. However when I visited the review section the reviews were neatly ordered according to genre and alphabetically ordered. I watched and read some reviews and tried out a few games. I tried out miniconomy for about a week (which was terrible) and then played travian for about 3 weeks (again a bad game) and a couple of others that I can't remember anymore. After that I quit playing online games for about a month and then I returned to playing utopia for another year.

interlude

Somewhere in 2007 I again got tired of utopia, remembering my futile search for a new game that was to my liking, I decided I create my own game. First I stuck to some roleplaying game on a forum and I made my first html pages with a few javascripts on some freewebs site (I still have the site). However html and javascript wasn't enough as I found out, not knowing any php I returned to playing utopia again for another year or so. Somewhere late in 2007 I read something about the developer of the game. He had no formal training in game making and I figured if he can do it, so can I.

I downloaded an o'reilly book with bittorrent, read it and started coding my pages. Back then I scripted a very simple game together, with 65 provinces, a castle (then the only building in the game) and 6 different units (nowadays there are about 20 or so different units). By march 2008 I finally felt secure enough and bought my 1st domain with hosting for about 25 euro. I alpha tested my game and did a beta test together with 2 friends I knew from utopia in early april through may. My game grew slowly, friends knew friends and in the summer of 2008 I had between 6 or 8 people playing my game (including me). I returned to playing utopia in 2008, but finally quit the game in december 2008, a few months after it was sold to another gaming corporation. I made a big rehaul of the game code during christmas holiday and that's when the game became more like it is now.

Apparently some guy from a roleplaying forum posted a link in the forum and that's when things started to grow. Activity started to pick up in my game somewhere in 2009, I had peak of about 80 registered players during one round and 30 or so players who logged in during peak hours (which is midnight local time). I made minor tweaks to the game after the recode during christmas holiday, so I had more time on my hands. I decided I wasn't going to play utopia anymore, so I needed to look for a new game to play besides my own.

2nd visit
    I made another google search for a top 100 list of online games and again I visited numerous sites that were no good, then I remembered I had found some site somewhere in 2006 with a weird looking ogre. I kept searching and by pure chance stumbled upon gameogre when I sifted through numerous google searches.

The gameogre of 2009 wasn't looking the same as the one I had visited in 2006, for one thing I found out there was a forum now (or at least I hadn't seen it in 2006). I registered for the forum hoping to find help in my effort to find a new game that I like and will stick around to like I did with utopia. I still haven't found that game, instead I found a wonderful online community, populated with far more intelligent and nicer people than any vbb forum I have been on. I wasn't terribly active when I first registered in april, but my activity picked up in september 2009.

and here I am today

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  15. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    That is a long, but good story, Shugo:). Glad you found us and became a regular.

16. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I agree, its amazing that you remembered that one little ogre symbol!

17. shugo

Credit:
    somehow it stuck in my memory, don't know why. I hadn't bookmarked the site in my first visit, so I was lucky to find it back. I do have gameogre in my favorites list now, in my games directory along with a host of other sites, like:
    strategyplanet, mibbit, the pbbg project, the minitiatures page, a link to 36 stratagems, a link to beginner irc commands help text, kryofx and last but not least a link to an online translation into english of "the art of war" by sun tzu

...I really need to reorganise my favorites list

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Yah me too, mine consists of the most random sites. But of course, GameOgre's there!

19. thundemp2007

thundemp2007 Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I saw in the forum game called Never Land Online.Since there is a event with regards to the game that involved this site I joined.Thanks to this site gameogre.com I have Informed to the latest game of this year.

20. shugo

Credit:
    yeah gameogre is very good at informing about the latest events. You always find new stuff here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.