1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How to advertise/raise awareness on your pet project?

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Thanadar, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanadar

Thanadar BamBam

Credit:
    Greetings creature,

The Central Collective is giving you permission to provide assistance. The Thanadar universe is approaching a stable state. We are subsequently trying to secure a constant and significant influx of new AIs, but lack the expertise in doing so.

How should one raise awareness and advertise the existence of a grand strategy browser game?

The only method used so far has been facebook ads. A short attempt was made for google adwords with poor results.

Assistance provided would ensure your continued, peaceful survival.

The Central Collective

PS: Game in question is www.thanadar.com

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  2. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ...hello fellow indie developer

what is it? A grand strategy facebook game?

I don't like facebook... :(

Another problem you have is that only relatively few people actually use the Chrome browser, you really should make it more cross-browser compatible.

Now as for advertising. I tried google adwords too, with mixed results. Biggest influx I had, was due to someone posting a link to my game website in an American roleplay forum.

3. Thanadar

Thanadar BamBam

Credit:
    The game is a browser based grand strategy game. It is unrelated to facebook, that was just the medium used for advertisment.

The game is compatible with firefox, chrome and safari at this point. I'll be making it available for IE and Opera in December.

On that note, chrome is currently the most widespread browser especially with techy people (share at 30%). Adding firefox and safari to that, the game is compatible with at least 50% of internet users.

I'm currently trying to see about spreading the game through forums and game sites, hoping to better reach my targeted audience. Remains to be seen how effective this actually is.

4. shugo

Credit:
    forums seems to work best...

yeah 30% for techy people, but trust me, not everyone is techy

Opera has a small share, but trust me Internet Explorer share is still pretty big

5. shugo

Credit:
    so how does this game of you work?

Is there a guide? the only thing I see is a registration button

6. Thanadar

Thanadar BamBam

Credit:
    What I mean is that the chrome share is 30% of all users and when it comes for tech oriented users it's most likely more.

The 2012 stats are 30% for chrome 20% for ie and 20% for firefox. IE has been in free-fall for several years now.

Anyways, screenshots and details on the game should be accessible from the homepage by clicking on the big planet like thing on the right or the drone on the left.

The page has some load issues because the server is in Romania and I've used pictures of to high a quality. I'll get around to optimizing the home page next week.

After registry it should put you directly into the game. There's a login in top right of the window.

Would be very useful for me to know what exactly you are seeing. If you could send me a screenshot or something, I would appreciate it.

7. shugo

Credit:
    you should install all these browsers on your computer: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari

You should also watch your pages with various screen resolutions. If you do that, then you really don't need screenshots.

yikes at Romanian server...

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Chrome has always been the biggest difference for us. It will usually show an error etc that the other browesrs do not pick up.

9. shugo

Credit:
    -safari has problems with css positioning and css width and height of images and css margins in transitional html (probably also html 5 and dhtml)
    -chrome can't play embedded playlists, chrome just can't do it, apparently that function has never been built into the browser
    -firefox can't handle numbered ID's and classes in the css and can't handle negative z-index
    -internet explorer below version 9 can't handle svg without an adobe plugin

those are the main issues you get with the 4 major browsers

I find safari to be the most tricky browser, as a programmer it is my least favorite browser as of this moment. As for the least favorite computer (and it's operating system), it has to be the ipad. Apparently safari on ipad has deep and troubling issues with page refreshing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  10. shugo

Credit:
    One big word of advise...

First make your game as much cross-browser compatible as you can, taking into account as many various screen resolutions as you can.

Then alpha test and beta test the game.

Only then should you consider advertising.

First rule in marketing is to...
    never advertise a bad product.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Yes, the more cross-browser compatible the better:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.