1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

I hate Nexon!

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Supernatural, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    They really done it this time....

Dragon Nest open beta started 2 days ago and after making my account and downloading the game i couldn't connect because WHOLE EUROPE is banned from all their servers. Same thing happened with Vindictus 8 months ago and even if they announced that European version will be available in December 2010, after more than six months there so no sign of Vindictus release. And they don't plan to release it in the next six months for sure, which means Dragon Nest will be available is this part of the world in 2013/2014.....

I doubt i will ever again go to their site or even try any of their games, this is really ridiculous...

2. KuroTsuna

KuroTsuna Looooong Goooone

Credit:
    What? so EU player can't play Dragon Nest?

3. Supernatural

Credit:
  4. KuroTsuna

KuroTsuna Looooong Goooone

Credit:
    I'll try to download it and play it. IF it doesn't work I'll just use Aol to play it. (aol = using a temporary american IP)

5. Supernatural

Credit:
    ok let me know what happened, btw wont proxy increase ur lags ingame?

6. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes, a proxy would increase lag in game necessarily (i.e. for the time it takes to reach the proxy and back, plus the time it takes the proxy to talk to the game.) However, they're often a bold and common solution to not being able to play from a particular IP zone.

Crazytalk.

Is there an industry-given reason for these regional IP-bans? I know that City of Heroes couldn't launch in the UK originally because their 5th Column at the time ran afoul of interesting laws in Germany; but I don't know that the onus to abide by regional laws is actually on games as much as gamers choosing to access them.

:shout:

7. Supernatural

Credit:
    Not a real answer, game is completely made by Nexon and they have all the right to publish it everywhere in the world, tho they sold the rights for Aisa to another company which will publish the game in that regoin, but even next to all that, they locked the game for Europe players ..

8. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Splashfighters needs to do this badly.

I thought Dragon's Nest only has servers in the US? That's a pretty good reason to ban other countries on the other side of the globe. Even if you have a speedy Internet connection, there will be more lag than normal still. The only other option to reduce lag, really is to boot based on server ping, and that's just...icky.

If I am right, and they don't have servers in Europe, I don't think that it is that CRAZY HORRIBLE OMG! for them to block other countries.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Moved to the MMORPG forum:).

10. Supernatural

Credit:
    I have played many mmos, including Soul Master who had ip block for some EU countries [not mine] with only NA servers, and i never had any kinds of lag or latency issues nor did other players i know, even is my connection ist't really good, 1mb at that time, not latency is the reason they r banning Europe.
    And no, that's not a good reason to block other parts of the world. Why should other players be forbidden to enjoy the wonders of Dragon Nest only because they live somewhere else?
    The main reason for players hate on Nexon is that they enabled game for all regions except Europe, Oceania isn't banned, South America isn't banned, only Europe and Asia which has their own publisher...

11. quinn

Credit:
    I'm sure they have a good reason for blocking an entire country. If it's not lag, perhaps there are legal issues somewhere along the line. Companies don't block huge amounts of profit-gaining players for no reason.

I know that on Splashfighters, we get TONS of players from Europe, Korea, and other far away places that constantly lag up the game a ton, and make games completely unfun. Even if it's not you personally, a lot of the rest of the country may still have issues.

Edit: I find it hard to think they are being rediculous. They own and maintain the game. If they want to block people from giving them money, that's their choice, even if there is no good reason.

12. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am wondering what their given reason for the block is. I haven't been able to find much information on it. However, if they have all their servers in one country and intend to develop for another country, I can see them blocking the other country as part of their business model. Something they might have learned from the bad practices of DRM and region-encoding of media.

It's brain-dead on arrival, to be certain; but it's still a common tactic in the media industry to attempt to milk different regions by enforcing a roll-out schedule that allows them to divide the globe.

That's my current speculation. Thoughts?

:shout:

13. Supernatural

Credit:
    I don't really know what made them do that, Europe is 2.5 times bigger market then USA and to seal off that much players is really ridiculous.
    Kyt, that may be the thing, but if they plan to divide markets, why Vindictus still isn't even close to release in Europe?

14. Meluvia

Meluvia Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    You could always try signing up for Dragon Nest SEA.
    Supposedly they're only IP blocking countries that have their own version (North America, Asia etc.) and Europe will have access. Open beta is slated to happen sometime in mid August.

Also, the Vindictus Europe webpage is finally up and running. Vindictus is scheduled to come out sometime in the fourth quarter this year for Europe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  15. Supernatural

Credit:
    I signed up for Dragon Nest SEA, open beta should be in mid August, i hope we wont be blocked :)
    Lol great, but i doubt it will come out before 2013...

16. Meluvia

Meluvia Big Bad Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Hopefully that won't be the case. It's already been long enough.

17. Supernatural

Credit:
    They r probably planing closed beta in that time, and no date on the site nor on their facebook page, im pretty sure we wont see vindictus open beta before 2013 xD

18. quinn

Credit:
    So if it's that large of an area, they obviously have a pretty good, non-ridiculous reason to block them. Most companies are NOT out to get everyone, as many people seem to think.

Probably something like Mel said, if there is going to be a server closer to your area.

19. anadyel

anadyel BamBam

Credit:
    global version of dragon nest gonna be open on half august by cherrycredits (dragon nest SEA)

20. serenade21

serenade21 Club Swinger

Credit:
    they should have a good reason why they did that, entire europe is a big continent which is a big deal.. hope there's no discrimination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.