1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Heroes Writing Contest

Discussion in 'Contests, Events, and Giveaways' started by ogreman, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Marvel Writing Contest​

To spice things up, we will be holding a writing contest where creativity and expression will go a long way. To be in the running all you are required to do is select your favorite hero from https://marvelheroes.com/heroes/list. Once selected write about what makes them your choice and even why you would want to be that hero. A minimum of 15 words is required and the below structure may be followed:

Favorite Hero: Deadpool (interchange for your chosen hero)
    Why: Why not is the better question! Deadpool, founded from the same Weapon X as Wolverine, is an elite hero who despite being unstable time over time has again proven himself. As a child I loved reading the comics and everything about him was inspirational (besides the few flaws).
    Note: Yours does not have to be like this and it may be as long as you wish (assuming 15 words or higher). Decent write ups will get a key but the best will be in the running to receive one of the top three prizes.

Prizes
    1st: Two Marvel Heroes keys (the extra key can be given to a friend) and a medal for the best article.
    2nd and over: Decent Reviews will receive a single Marvel Heroes key.

Redemption Instructions:
    Marvel keys:
    Follow the instructions below and claim your in-game goodies!
    . Log into your existing Marvel Heroes account or create a new one here.
    . Once you have logged in, click on 'Profile' on the upper right hand corner.
    . Select 'Redeem Key' on the right hand side menu.
    . Enter your code in the key box and hit 'Submit' (Remember: Codes are case sensitive)
    . Success! - Your code should have successfully been redeemed and will show on your Account Summary
    . Jump into Marvel Heroes and claim your in-game goodies!

Rules
    :

1. Only post once in this thread with your article.
    2. Your post should be your article only. Extra comments about the Giveaway or code etc could cause a deletion of your post.
    3. This contest will end on Sunday night and the codes will be given then.
    4. Only giving out codes to the first 100 that qualify.
    5. The winner will also be announced Sunday Night and given their prizes.
    6. Images and multimedia can be added, but should not replace text.

2. Timmak

Timmak Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Moon Knight
    Why: Moon Knight has quickly become one of my favorite heroes to play in Marvel Heroes! His play style focuses on physical damage, but incorporates strong ranged attacks along with even stronger melee attacks. His ranged attack, Truncheon Ricochet, bounces around, hitting multiple targets and clears out weak enemies with ease. It is also excellent for quests (Legendary or Shared) which require you to break inanimate objects, as it will automatically bounce around to those and destroy them, racking up the 50/100 as required by the quests.
    His ranged attacks also include guns! But these are no ordinary guns... they are specially designed pistols which fire crescent blades (aka moons!) at your enemies, which deal massive damage, bleed targets, and/or immobilize them. Extremely useful, and allows for you to stick a target, roll into range, and finish them off with a punch or two.
    However, my real favorite part about Moon Knight is his Avatar of Vengeance ability: when activated, it lowers your life to 1, but makes the hero invulnerable for a short time. It furthermore increases his damage and critical abilities quite significantly, allowing you to harm yourself but cause extreme harm to enemies! When the ability ends, Moon Knight heals for a portion of the damage done. The damage/critical increase is a persistent passive, so even when the ability is not active (ie invulnerable), Moon Knight benefits from being low health. This unique play style makes for a fun adrenaline rush: living on the edge, staying barely alive, makes the hero even more powerful. Add in his single target signature, Gruesome Frenzy, which demolishes bosses with ease--especially when Moon Knight is low life--and he makes for a great hero that destroys groups and single targets alike. All around, an excellent hero to play and one of my upcoming favorites among a large cast of heroes to choose from! (Plus, he can fly, and who doesn't love being able to fly?)

3. 0wen

0wen Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Ghost Rider

Why: Ghost Rider has always been a character from the comic books that I have liked and it's great to be able to use him in the game and he turns out to be one of the better characters to boot (or Craig "Crash" Simpson's Engineer Boots if you have unlocked his uniques). You can have your choice of playing a Melee build and going crazy with flaming chains and hellfire or you can go for a Vengeance build that uses a lot of range and area attacks and causes mental damage or a hybrid to mix things up a bit. Most of Ghost Rider's animations in game are pretty slick and it is fun to just hop on his Infernal Chopper and cruise around the map (until you run out of spirit energy) and who wouldn't like to pop a flaming wheelie killing enemies along your wake. His Ultimate Power, Hell on Wheels is also pretty cool but hopefully you have a pretty good PC with all the fire visuals he uses.

The current version of the character in the game is the Johnny Blaze one but they are going to be adding the Alejandra Blaze female version of Ghost Rider and from the early pics, she looks like she will be fun to use. Here is a picture for those unfamiliar with her

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...0-alejandra_do_i_look_crazy_ghost_rider_9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  4. NegativeDan

NegativeDan Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Human Torch
    Why: The Human Torch is integral to the Fantastic Four and a strong bond that keeps the team together. His humor maintains a light tone and helps the team from taking themselves too serious. In Marvel Heroes, he has become my favorite character to play as because he can deal a lot of damage but can be easily defeated. This keeps things challenging and makes coming up with new strategies very important. I would also like to be this hero for two reasons. First, the ability to fly would make traveling easy and exciting and I would save a ton of money on gas. Second, the ability to light things on fire means if I ever became homeless, I would never be cold and I would be able to heat up any stray cans of beans I find. Human Torch FTW!

5. 4surface

4surface Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Cyclops

Why: Cyclops is my most favorite hero in the marvel universe. Since my first exposure to him in X-Men Evolution as a natural leader. A man with the power to stare at you to death helps too. His relationship with Jean Grey is one of his best aspects of his character, although I hate his current relationship with Emma. Scott is a leader who's willing to do anything to preserve his mutantkind. He wants to communicate with humans but hes not willing for his people to suffer to please humanity. He's been making hard choices since he was 16. Even after he was branded as criminal after Avengers vs X-Men, humans and mutants believed that Cyclops was right in his decisions. A great leader and not to mention a player as he's been in relationships with Jean, Psylocke and Emma Frost. As the opening cinematic of marvel heroes described him: He has turned adversity, into purpose time and time again. Cyclops is a true hero and has been my most favorite Marvel character. Having the powers that he has and the tactical brain would do help me so much in real life.

6. FluffyPuppy

FluffyPuppy Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Nightcrawler

Why: I guess you could say it's because I grew up with him. I remember way back when I was maybe around 6-7 years old I spent a lot of time ill and in the Hospital for months at a time and one of the first toys my Dad bought me while I stayed there was a Nightcrawler action figure. I always thought he was the coolest looking character I ever saw back then and still do. I've followed him in games, comics, x-men cartoons and etc since then and still have that action figure today. Unfortunately his tail has run off somewhere over the years. I love how his powers work; who wouldn't want to be able to instant-teleport everywhere? It would save so much time with everything and save you from dangerous situations. It would be fun to be as flexible and acrobatic as him as well and be able to leap and flip around as he does. He's also one of the kindest Marvel Heroes, even after enduring so much fear and hatred simply because of how he looked, even though I think it'd be awesome to look like him. He's just amazing and will always be my favorite.

7. Redbird

Redbird Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite hero hawkeye. Who doesn't like archers? There basically advanced snipers who can work with arrows better than guns. My first exposure to hawkeye was in avengers earths mightest heroes. A loner who relies on strictly his now and aim, he never runs out of arrows. In his first appearance he singlehanded saved the avengers after being originally being thought of as a thug. I want to be hawkeye cuz his sharp aim would help improve my body and mind

8. leodastus

leodastus Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Squirrel Girl

Why: Squirrel Girl is nuts, really! Lore-wise, Squirrel Girl has defeated many of the Marvel universe's 'big bad' villains such as Doctor Doom and Thanos. Gameplay wise, she is amazing, providing both a powerful character to play as well as a lot of humor with her dialogue (voice acted by veteran VA Tara Strong) and attack animations such as giant acorns, a rain of squirrels, a kick to the enemy's nuts, and Hulkbuster squirrels (squirrels in mini Iron Man Hulkbuster armors).

One of her costumes is also that of an aviatrix with the old leather flight cap, goggles, and fur-lined bomber jacket, what makes it even better is it puts the flight caps and goggles on your squirrels also! (Her Christmas outfit puts antlers and Rudolph noses on them).

If I could be any hero in the Marvel universe, I would be Squirrel Girl. I'd be able to defeat any enemy, and always have lots of little furry friends to chat with.

[​IMG]

9. Mendaxas

Mendaxas Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Gambit
    Why: Ever since watching the 90's X-Men cartoon, Gambit has been one of my favorite heroes. His accent, his card-based fighting technique, his attire, he's just grade-A cool all around. When I saw he was added to Marvel Heroes I immediately purchased him. Gambit became my first level 60 and is currently my most-geared hero. He has changed in the months since I got him, and generally those changes were for the better, improving his various skills, changing animations, even some quality of life changes like getting rid of his toggled Black/Red Suit buffs. His skills look amazing when you have your graphics up, lots of nice purpley explosions of energy. His Signature Move is called 52 Pickup and decimates bosses with Gambit rapidly throwing cards into a foe. If you're looking for a hero that radiates cool, is very powerful, and very fun to play, you can't beat Gambit.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Definitely a great start:). The format really works.

If I liked a post above it will definitely be getting a code when the contest ends:). May not be through the whole contest so do not read anything in to it if your post is not liked. Mainly liked them to show good examples of what to follow.

Please note that if you add a picture, you post may go into moderation. Rest assured that your post will not be deleted if it is like the ones above:). All it means is that a mod or myself will have to approve the post if it has an image. All moderated posts will be checked before the contest ends.

11. Zolanski91

Zolanski91 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Spider-Man, he is one of the most fun to play melee based character in the game, if you love the idea of covering your enemies in webs Spider man is the hero for you, Spider-Man was one of my favorite movies growing up and I remember running around the house with my little spider man mask pretending to web my parents, boy did I drive then nuts! But still to this day I will have to say spider man is an awesome hero...Avenger or not!!!

12. TheArchingMarvel

TheArchingMarvel Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Hawkeye
    Why: I've always liked Hawkeye for his quick thinking, wits, and fighting style.
    Bow and arrows are AWESOME, and having an arrow for everything is the best!
    I've always had a little bit of Clint's wise-cracking inside of me, now all I need is the bow. ....Well, I guess 10-20 years of hard training wouldn't hurt either. lol

13. orgasmic

orgasmic Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Spider-man

Why: Spider-man is always my first choice when it comes to Marvel. As a child i grew up watching the 90s animated series Spider-man with Christopher Danial Barnes and have been a Spidey fan ever since. Even own a laser disc of the first venom episode(favorite Spidey villain). Started reading the comics during high school and collected several first print key issues of Amazing Spider-Man. Favorites are #252-#259, #300 which was the symbiote's first appearance, story arc and venom's first full appearance respectively. Also have a full single issues collection of Ultimate Spider-Man in first prints. Still remember getting teary eyed while reading #160 for the first time(death of Ultimate Spider-Man). That beautiful Quesada variant cover of peter and uncle Ben walking in the light gets me every time. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the newest ultimate cartoon series which seems to be directed at kids more than adults. Just Spectacular Spider-Man and the 90s Animated series Spider-man.

In Marvel Heroes 2015, you can imagine my excitement when i first discovered that i have an option of purchasing the back in black costume with the Christopher Danial Barnes voice-over. The symbiote is also my all-time favorite Spidey costume. Too bad the actual symbiote suit is a $200 exclusive but I'm very happy with the back in black suit, especially with the new voice-over. Now I just need to get enough eternity splinters with my starter or get lucky on a random box for Spidey. Saving my Gs for his other costumes.

14. vehementi

vehementi Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Why: Maybe it was my phase as a child of wanting to be a magician and around that time I'd watch fox's Saturday morning cartoons. On there would be the x-men and one of characters had the ability to kinetically charge anything non organic. Rather then just use any number of common house hold items or office supplies. He'd use playing cards but he didn't just use them he dealt them in style. He wasn't just a quick gimmick character he had complexity to him; to put simply he was just well written supporting cast. Even at a young age that stood out to me. They could have gone the easy route in a kids show but no they decided to flesh out each everyone as much as they could. They didn't sugar coat the show they gave it to the kids straight even when a team member died. They even gave ol' Rem his impossible love interest. Someone he'd fall for but could never get close to.

The following years Marvel would dedicate a series of books to Gambit in which he was really flushed out. They showed how his powers really worked and at times became a royal pain in his butt.

In a sense I do sort of wish I had his abilities but on the other hand I don't. If I had the ability to charge inorganic objects be it walls, safes, doors, etc. I would probably end up becoming a thief. Not because of necessity but because of the adrenaline thrill of getting past security systems. I'd probably would end up getting shot and killed or be locked up in solitaire confinement without an ace in the hole...

15. antagonist

antagonist Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero : Deadpool

Why : What's not to love about a humorous, multilingual, psychotic, hyper-active, superb assassin that's adept in various forms of martial arts, swordsmanship and an expert marksman!

Deadpool A.K.A Dead Man Wade, was a test subject in the Weapon X program. He rather similar powers as the Wolverine, but Deadpool's is mentally driven. He's even able to regrow his own head after it was being decapitated by the big green machine known as the Hulk!

[​IMG]

16. Billy B

Billy B Ogre Newling

Credit:

Why: Because ever since I saw him in the old X-Men cartoon, he struck me as a unique caracter. He is not the usual tough guy some characters are, he knows how strong he is and dont really show it off. I also love his powers and the way he channels his powers in cards. Plus dont forget his cool Cajun accent.

After watching the show I started collecting comic books, starting with issues that had him in it and all his solo comics. You can say Gamibit made me a comic fan forever! Because of him i have a huge comic book collection.

I also love him in the game because he has a good mix of melee and ranged combat. He never gets old. Plus you have to admit he's a bad ass character!

17. xinchen300

xinchen300 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favourite Hero: Hulk

Why:I liked Hulk from a early age and hadn´t really thought about why as much until I read this. But now it seems kinda obvious to me. It´s the combination of several things. Some of it is the Banner - Hulk mind struggle. But a lot is from the Hulks personality himself. He is dumb, or simple you could say. A confused child´s mind. Yet he is Rage incarnate . He has all this power but would it not be for the rage within him he would most likely be a gentle giant. At times he smashes uncontrollably and does things you couldn´t morally accept from a "good guy" but he can´t be blamed . All he understands are loneliness and anger most of the time. So this allows you to view him as morally good and sympathies with him even though he sometimes just rampage away like a mad man. He doesn´t know where this rage comes from and he can´t control it. And also for me it´s partly the sort of natural and raw, primal and unlimited smashing itself . You can see his rage and mindless willingness to just smash everything in his way and he is made to do so . Can´t you remember some time as maybe a kid where you was mistreated or something, and you had like a urge and a wish you could just pick up and smash everyone that did you wrong and crush all to you "evil" or something but all you could do is to stand there. I´m not saying that is right but that is what the Hulk feels and he gets to do it. All he knows is a kids fear and unlimited rage as a response. He wants to be the strongest there is so he can smash and beat and destroy everything so that he just can be alone because he things this is what whill make him safe and happy.

These are feelings i just can understand and most of us have probably had some small version of it when we were angry as kids or even adults. But Its just magnified to such a high degree with Hulk ho is this misunderstood beast in a child mind that doesn´t understand anything and people just want to kill him . (at least that´s how it went in the early days). So there are a couple of things I guess. More practically speaking I guess i kinda like the powers as well the strength/healing/durability going up with rage allowing him to fight forever. And he can fight such wide variety of power levels pretty well thanks to this set of traits fairly evenly. Because he can be tricked or stopped by lower level characters as well so It´s often exciting to read.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  18. amaterasu3000

amaterasu3000 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Wolverine
    Why: I grew up watching fox Saturday cartoon series X-Men and seeing Wolverine's as the anti-hero made my day!!! He always got himself in trouble but always trying to save people and helping his friends like the girl beast liked from Friends of Humanity and provide justice. I feel that everyone including me can relate to him from his failing romances from jean to storm but also he isn't perfect but does see the way in black and white or right and wrong instead of people making morality complex. The movies did not do Wolverine any justice since his story is more complex and there so much to Wolverine.

Also, it is kinda cool seeing that he can regenerate so far as being close to being immortal!! Whenever there is a fight, he is the first one to jump right in !!! It is mostly not calculated but it is always exciting to see his fights in comics or movies cuz you know its gonna be fun!! I guess everyone wants to be like him never able to get hurt and get disease, but his strong views and loyalty to the end makes him one of the coolest x-men characters

19. carlee

carlee Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Favorite Hero: Cyclops

Why: Cyclops because this guy is ultra cool. He has superb leadership skills and is an excellent hand to hand combatant. His strategy skills are on par with Captain America and Mr. Fantastic. He is tough and don't take mess from anyone, not even Wolverine. He has an indomitable will and has even taught himself to fight blind. His optic powers are awesome (there no other way around it). The ruby quartz shades are great for the no-nonsense look it gives him. He's charismatic and intense which is why I identify with him so well because he reminds me so much of myself.

20. Velja99

Velja99 Elite Ogre New Ogre

Credit:
    Favourite hero:Spider-man
    Why:He was the first super hero from marvel heroes that i saw.I watched him every day and i even have a costume of spiderman.He made my chieldhood better.I want to be him because of his spider sences(he can sence anything and anyone) and because he is a spider.Spiders are one of my favourite animals.He can climb along the buildings and he can stuck him self where ever he wants(on the sealing ,on the side of building...)Also he saves people which shows that he is great super hero.When i was little i always dreamt about being a super hero because he saves people lives and he becomes famous for doing that good deeds.Spider-man is the best marvel hero for me !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.