1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

My Review of Atlantica Online

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by lordlapse, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordlapse

lordlapse Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Atlantica is a new massively multiplayer online game released by NDOORS. The open beta testing begins on September 24, 2008 at 6 p.m. PDT.

The story is unyielding in itself, with a focus on the mythical city of Atlantis. We all know that Atlantis in itself is an already famous civilization in fiction and true enough, the background story of the game is not that different. In addition to that, there were also other old civilizations included, like Babylon or Egypt, to add to the nostalgic atmosphere of the game.

It looks interesting as a game, but this is still an ONLINE GAME. Gamespot said in their Final Fantasy XI review that massively multiplayer online games nowadays tend to be repetitive and time-consuming. Moreover, they also said that “by now, it isn't easy for a massively multiplayer online role-playing game to distinguish itself.†So what sets Atlantica Online apart from the others?

First, NDOORS implemented what they call the STAMINA system. In the stamina system, the players are given a set number of points for stamina and use that for PVE battles. Without stamina, a player cannot gain any experience or items. Now that looks a downer isn’t it? However, the developers made it possible for stamina to replenish, mostly through community participation. This means that the system fits in the mission of an online game perfectly. So if a player can’t participate in the community that means he/she cannot replenish stamina points? Well, the developers solved that by restoring all stamina points at a certain time. So a player has got two choices: participate in a community or wait until reset time. Because of that, I totally agree to Danny “Ralsu†Gourley’s (TenTonHammer) comment that said: “(the game) perfectly fits to my busy lifestyle.â€

Second, there is what the developers call a CHALLENGE system. Basically it’s a PVP system where you can choose opponents based on three criteria: level, number of characters, and the free league division. But the most interesting part of the system is this: BETS. You can set a bet, and no one runs away from you if ever they lose. On top of that, you regain stamina as well. However this could make the game more unattractive to players. Here’s my challenge to those players: Try it. You may change your mind and actually think that PVP is a lot more pleasurable than just killing off other players.

Last, but not the least, is the fact that it is actually turn-based. Personally, I haven’t had any turn-based game experiences since Final Fantasy. I had a few online adventures, but most of these are action-oriented and is done on real time. With up to 9 characters to control, the only reasonable way to fight is to do it by turns. However, this system has a twist: You have to attack within thirty seconds. At a glance, it seems very difficult. But as you get the hang of the game, you would eventually enjoy the way the game developers did this. In addition to that, this system also adds to the game’s nostalgic atmosphere.

Just a final note, I believe that for most online games nowadays, judging by the usual criteria of graphics, sound, gamplay, etc. is a thing of the past. What matters most right now is the uniqueness of the game, and how to make this work for the most number of players. For that, I give Atlantica Online an 8 over 10.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
  3. lordlapse

lordlapse Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Thanks man. I forgot to add the changes in the stamina system though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  4. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    good review dude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.